How to specialize in Orthopedics/Sports medicine

Hello,

I am currently waiting to hear back from the schools I have applied to. My dream job is to work in orthopedics/sportd medicine and work in surgery. I am confused about the process to specialize in orthopedics/sports medicine. Is there schooling after graduating from a PA program, or is there just on the job type training. Ideally I want to work at Rothman Institute as Im from New Jersey/Pennsylvania area. Any and all information is welcome. Thanks.

Basically it just would consist of applying to PA jobs in ortho. During your clinical year, try to pick your elective in ortho surgery. And if your goal of being in ortho surgery hasn't changed after PA school, you could apply to ortho PA residency programs to increase your chances. My sister is a PA and her first job right out of school was in ortho surgery so that was without residency or prior experience. Things to keep in mind.

• 3 months later...

my first job was ortho subspecialty with one day a week in the OR, no extra prior training, no ortho rotation, no pre-PA ortho experience. At the same time, an ortho practice/hospital called me offering interview for 1-year ortho fellowship at $45K pay. Didn't consider it for a second, and in my opinion you don't need it.

• 2 months later...

Archived