Recent graduate Endocrinology contract offer

I am a recent graduate pursuing my first career and I was given an offer from a Endocrinology clinic.  I enjoyed my time with them and they are really focused on teaching and mentoring whoever comes on board.  I have two questions to ask you guys:  

1.  Do you think endocrinology is broad enough to start my PA career in?  I really am interested in the field but i am worried it would be hard to transition into another field in the future. 

2.  Would you mind looking over the contract they offered me below and let me know what you think?  

Thanks for checking this out!  

-Ryan

CONTRACT:

• Salary $ 105,000.00 contingent on the fact that employee has trained himself and is competent on the computer system by first day of work.  Tutorials and staff assistance will be available to employee during this interim period.
  • PTO Accrual from first date of employment at 3.077 per pay period (2 weeks per year)..  Available for use after 6 months of employment and based on accrual balance.  Up to two additional weeks of unpaid leave will be available immediately to the provider upon prior approval by the practice.
  • Health insurance eligibility for you and your spouse.  100% of the HMO product (for employee only) will be paid by the employer.  Employee has the option of increasing coverage plan (to PPO or POS) at employee’s expense.
  • Malpractice insurance will be covered by the practice.
  • Tail coverage for your policy with the clinic will be purchased for the employee upon termination of employment.  No tail coverage will be provided for previous employment. 
  • $1,500.00 bonus to cover CME, License and Membership fees for the year.  Will be distributed at 6 months of employment
  • Employee’s main responsibility is to provide medical support to the physician staff.  First consideration is to be given to the practice owner and any off time will be spent providing backup to the other physician staff.  Employee will be required to initiate new and follow up visits as assigned, and review correspondence/lab/prescriptions/phone calls as necessary.  Work hours will be based on an 8 ½ hour workday (1 hour lunch).  Employee must be available to accommodate the schedule requirements of the Dr.
  • Employee is expected to become fully involved in support for the Dr. clinical research trials as a sub-investigator.   This will require successful completion of all human subject protection training prior to participation.
  • Hospital coverage is to be determined, it may become a requirement of the position in the future.  Employee will not be expected to provide more than 1 weekend of call per month.
  • Should employee choose to terminate his employment or is released for cause during the two year contract period the tail coverage and bonus will be forfeited.

Year Two: (changes)

• Merit Raise will be based on employee’s progress over the course of the first year of employment.
  • $1,500.00 bonus at month six of year two to cover CME, License and Membership fees for the year.
  • 401-k plan eligibility after 1 year of employment

Hey AbeTheBabe, 

I am located in Nevada.  They will offer 401K match after the first year of employment.  As far as the training they will have someone train me and i am expected to go prior to my start date to get familiar and learn the EHR system.  It definitely wasn't something to be concerned with after talking with them.  They just want to make sure I am competent on the first day so as I can focus solely on the medical aspects.  

On 9/9/2017 at 0:49 PM, bpc83 said:

Salary $ 105,000.00 contingent on the fact that employee has trained himself and is competent on the computer system by first day of work.  Tutorials and staff assistance will be available to employee during this interim period.

and who makes this determination? so let's say there are a few areas of the computer system where you aren't comfortable with yet, how much will your salary go down? hundreds? thousands? I just don't really like that statement.

Employee’s main responsibility is to provide medical support to the physician staff.  First consideration is to be given to the practice owner and any off time will be spent providing backup to the other physician staff.  Employee will be required to initiate new and follow up visits as assigned, and review correspondence/lab/prescriptions/phone calls as necessary.  Work hours will be based on an 8 ½ hour workday (1 hour lunch).  Employee must be available to accommodate the schedule requirements of the Dr.

again, just do not like the wording of this. sounds like any work that the physician doesn't feel like doing on a certain day becomes your work. would appreciate a more specific job description. 

•  
  • Hospital coverage is to be determined, it may become a requirement of the position in the future.  Employee will not be expected to provide more than 1 weekend of call per month.

If this is so, is there extra compensation? Sounds like they are putting in this statement just to have extra backup when they need it. 

Merit Raise will be based on employee’s progress over the course of the first year of employment

any word on how much this could possibly be?

$1,500.00 bonus at month six of year two to cover CME, License and Membership fees for the year

Soo.. this isn't a "bonus" merely CME allowance for the 2nd year...

Overall salary is good but there are just statements in this contract that I don't really like the sound of. My initial contract had similar statements,  but i was able to get a lawyer to look at it and make adjustments and everything sounded better. Even if the practice doesn't intend screw you over with ambiguous contract talk, it's better to clarify things in my opinion. 

Archived