Applying to hospitals before graduating

I have about four months left to graduation, currently at an out of state PA program with plans to move to NYC after. 

If I hope to work at one of the big hospital systems in NYC, is it futile to put in job applications now as I have not already graduated? 

Would it be better to wait until I take my boards and move up there to hear back from anyone, or do they interview soon-to-be graduates too?

Would appreciate any advice! 

Hey, PSPA1012! I'm a fresh PA grad (just passed the PANCE 2 weeks ago!). I'm not from NY, but I can tell you that in California, I applied to hospitals before graduating. I went through interviews and accepted a tentative offer in EM, given that I graduate and pass the PANCE in time. Hospital credentialing can take a while so I was able to review some of the initial documents with the tentative offer so that when I eventually did go through credentialing, the process would be quick and smooth. I'll be starting my job in ~1 month. I hope a similar scenario can work out with you in NY.

• 10 months later...

Archived