Help! Misrepresentation in the media

So I recently saw a movie entitled "Logan Lucky". It was great to see the PA profession represented in the movie by a character who ran a traveling community clinic. However, I was disappointed that when the character's name badge was shown, the title "Physician's Assistant" was displayed. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea of how to contact someone and who to contact about this error so we can strive to be accurately represented. I just have no idea where to start. Help!

Eh. I think it's highly unlikely that this error can be adequately repaired. If anything, this could be listed as a "goof" on the movie's IMDB page. I just find it refreshing to see PAs represented in movies and television. The only other place I remember seeing a fictional PA was on "Royal Pains." I heard there was also a PA on "ER."

All we can really do is continue to try and educate the public about the profession as a collective.

8 hours ago, LadyNichiavelli said:

. The only other place I remember seeing a fictional PA was on "Royal Pains." I heard there was also a PA on "ER."

There was a PA in "ER" for a bit...there was also one on "St Elsewhere" a number of years ago (I'm dating myself)...and you even got to see that one in training and later in practice.  I also remember seeing one in a movie from the late 80's early 90's called "Vital Signs", but they referred to themselves as the surgeon's "Physician's Aide"...and took great pleasure in tormenting the 3rd year clerks that were the main characters.

IMHO, we're going to see this forever and a day, as people in the media in one way or another think that because they're writers/reporters or have had a bit of contact with something, they're  experts in everything, even though in most cases they know shyte about frig all.

SK

On 9/6/2017 at 0:13 AM, chabis77 said:

So I recently saw a movie entitled "Logan Lucky". It was great to see the PA profession represented in the movie by a character who ran a traveling community clinic. However, I was disappointed that when the character's name badge was shown, the title "Physician's Assistant" was displayed. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea of how to contact someone and who to contact about this error so we can strive to be accurately represented. I just have no idea where to start. Help!

Could've been worse- could've had her standing next to a doctor handing him/her a stethoscope.

It was a little cringey, but baby steps- it was kinda cool to see a PA manning a mobile health clinic by themselves

On 9/6/2017 at 7:47 AM, sk732 said:

There was a PA in "ER" for a bit...there was also one on "St Elsewhere" a number of years ago (I'm dating myself)...and you even got to see that one in training and later in practice.  I also remember seeing one in a movie from the late 80's early 90's called "Vital Signs", but they referred to themselves as the surgeon's "Physician's Aide"...and took great pleasure in tormenting the 3rd year clerks that were the main characters.

IMHO, we're going to see this forever and a day, as people in the media in one way or another think that because they're writers/reporters or have had a bit of contact with something, they're  experts in everything, even though in most cases they know shyte about frig all.

SK

I remember the lady from "Vital Signs" and remember thinking "WTH is a 'Physician's Aide'?" The PA in ER was Jeannie something...She was in for a while and then they gave her HIV and then later left the show. She was in one of the final episodes running a community clinic. The PA in Royal Pains started off ok even hinting at an issue with our title when she was talking to Hank about the title "Physician Assistant" Hank says "I think everyone is hung up on the second part" or something like that. Then the show kinda went to crap. 

On 9/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, Cideous said:

The PA on ER had HIV.  Yea us....

Yeah... but she was also the head of the HIV clinic and the only regular character in the show to contract HIV and not be killed off by the writers. And it made sense... like most female AIDs cases in 1997, she was black, heterosexual, and received the disease from a long-time partner. 

She also had one of the best critical receptions of any of the regular characters that appeared on the show. The actress did a phenomenal job. I'm glad it was her portraying us! 

I remember the lady from "Vital Signs" and remember thinking "WTH is a 'Physician's Aide'?" The PA in ER was Jeannie something...She was in for a while and then they gave her HIV and then later left the show. She was in one of the final episodes running a community clinic. The PA in Royal Pains started off ok even hinting at an issue with our title when she was talking to Hank about the title "Physician Assistant" Hank says "I think everyone is hung up on the second part" or something like that. Then the show kinda went to crap. 
I'd forgotten Royal Pains. First few seasons were good then the writers ran out of ideas.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Aaaandddd then the PA in Royal Pains went to medical school....a plot line I would have preferred been avoided if only because it reinforces the people who think MD is the ultimate title to achieve and anything less is not a real, full provider.

Aaaandddd then the PA in Royal Pains went to medical school....a plot line I would have preferred been avoided if only because it reinforces the people who think MD is the ultimate title to achieve and anything less is not a real, full provider.
I didn't know that... I stopped watching around the 2nd season. The stories started becoming unbearable and only can take so much of hank wearing his stethoscope backwards and coming up with the zebra dx.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Archived