Job offer but have to wait 1 month to sign contract

I've been offered a job in NC in a busy family medicine/urgent care/women's health clinic. They already have 8 PAs and 5 physicians. They have hired many of their PAs straight after graduation, so I will have the support and training needed as a new grad. This is what is offered to me. 

Salary: $90,000 per year 

2 weeks vacation 

1 week CME with $1500 spending 

Health and dental insurances 

DEA application fee reimbursement

The issue with this offer is the fact that physician who owns this practice is currently traveling out of the country for 1 month and he tells me via email that this is the offer and he will email me the contract when he is back in the country in a month because he doesn't have a contract template with him. Our first interview was via video skype while he was at the airport on his way out of the country. Then I drove to the clinic 2 days later for a formal interview with the office manager, 2 PAs and a physician. Everything went well. He already sent me reading materials that he gives to all of the new grads while waiting for licensing. 

I want the job however I just don't feel comfortable to reject other offers, look for housing closer to the job  or even to stop sending job applications unless I have a concrete offer in writing that I can sign. What alternatives I can ask to secure this offer for me for 1 month while he is away?

Thank you. 

If the offer meets your needs let them know you are verbally accepting their provisional offer but feel like you need to keep entertaining other possibilities until you have a signed agreement and a start date. That isn't hostile or unreasonable and if they want to nail you down they will figure out a way to do it. 

Not having the template with him makes very little sense to me since he clearly has some tech chops in that he can skype from the airport while leaving the country. Office manager sends him template by email. He signs and returns by email. Deal done. Or fax if you want to go old school. Of, if one of the other physicians are partners they sign the agreement. 

It can be done if he wants to do it. It just sounds like it is easier for him to not interrupt his vacation by trying to figure out how.

Archived