School probation status

Hi everyone,

My program is still pretty new (class 4 started in May) and its accreditation status is "provisional probation." The next ARC-PA review is this month. I'm not here to trash my program but lets just say I'm worried it's going to lose its accreditation. First time PANCE pass rate for class 1 was 69%!!! It was improved for the 2nd class but as of 6/30/17, only half of the class has taken the PANCE (they graduated 05/17) so we'll so what those stats look like when the rest of the class takes the PANCE. Would like some advice from anyone knowledgeable on the subject if my program does lose accreditation. I'd like to be prepared in case it happens rather than have my life be in shambles. From what I've read, it really depends on whether the program chooses to appeal the decision. Thanks everyone

Even if the program loses accreditation, they are obligated to 'teach out' the currently admitted cohorts - so while you may have to deal with getting  a less than stellar education/clinical experience (depends on why they are on probation), you should not suddenly find yourself on the street half way through your education.

ARC-PA does not intend to upend the education of students; they have plans and processes in place should a program lose accreditation.  Their goal is not to close a program and tell 30-100 students 'See ya!'.

I don't know about that obligation, at least from some of the experiences I've been reading. For example, from UScience losing their accreditation:

“They told us, if we chose to not pursue an appeal, they would allow us to teach out our three classes of currently enrolled students,” said Paul Katz, who came on as president of the 2,600-student university in September. “We felt the best option for our students was to try to do the best for the most.”

What happens if they do appeal?

I can't imagine faculty sticking around for 2 years with a program they know isn't going to be around. Wouldn't they be looking for jobs elsewhere? Where is the obligation?

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Loss-of-accreditation-leaves-USciences-students-in-a-lurch.html

Here's from another article:

"A failed appeal would risk losing accreditation prior to 2017, stranding students who had not yet earned their degree. In contrast, voluntary withdrawal allows all current students in the program to earn their degrees and take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination."

Any examples of programs losing accreditation and appealing? What happened to the students?

http://timesleader.com/news/490354/misericordia-withdraws-from-accreditation-process-for-physician-assistant-program

Keep in mind that PA programs are not stand alone projects.  PA programs are often under the umbrella of a college/school of medicine (or something similar) and are absolutely under the umbrella of a college or university.  Heads will roll somewhere...it's not as if ARCPA takes accreditation away and the whole PA program just disappears without a trace.  Someone, somewhere is held accountable (probably financially).

Yes.  Instructors may attempt to find other employment.  They may also be under contract by a university and unable to leave in the middle of an academic year (may, might, maybe, I don't know).  Again, someone, somewhere is obligated to ensure that you are educated.  

Like Rev said, bottom line is you get a degree and sit for PANCE because it isn't your fault the program lost it's accreditation.  Buckle up and make the best of it because your only other option at this point is to voluntarily drop out which most would advise against.

The program just has to be accredited at time of enrollment, not time of graduation...some of those articles you're referencing are misinformed and/or out of context.  The best place to find real answers is with the ARC-PA website (and your program, if you can get them to give you answers).

• 1 month later...

If the program was accredited at the time of matriculation (enrolled for the degree), and if a student successfully graduates, they can sit for the PANCE even if the accreditation is voluntarily dropped or rescinded by ARC during their education.

The 'if' is the gray area. It is the sponsoring institution's responsibility to teach out any remaining students. That would indicate they are able to maintain the resources necessary to do so. If the program faculty is not held to a timeline by contracts, they have the ability to make employment choices just like every other worker. If the program is unable to obtain clinical rotations for students then the clinical education is not complete. Students also need to undergo a program evaluation during the last several months of the program to confirm they have the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to enter clinical practice. An inability to do so by the program indicates the student cannot progress to graduation.

Over the last few years, ARC has been providing much more oversight concerning programs. Programs have to report attrition of key faculty, therefore a lack of key faculty to continue with student's education will become quickly apparent. This would then trigger action again from ARC including a potential site visit to determine the ability to adequately proceed. That would not help a student caught in the middle of this disaster but it would provide clear cut direction as to the future course of action.

As for someone taking responsibility, this eventually falls to the sponsoring institution. Whether there would actually be any responsibility taken for a failed program may never be apparent. Blame can be disseminated and dodged without any consequences for those actually responsible. Unfortunately, the only way to potentially get justice could be through legal action, difficult to take on as an individual.

I hope this situation works out the best for you.

George

Archived