TENNESSEE: Lipscomb University 2017-2018

5 minutes ago, Almortega said:

I don’t think the review is until June, they at my interview  said it was originally going to be in March but the arc pa moved it to June because the program doesn’t start until October. Did they tell you something different? 

Yeah, at my interview Mar 1 they said they were granted an early review (which I guess never happens) and it was to be conducted at the end of March.  They followed up that discussion by telling us that they likely wouldn't make the final class decisions until after the review because they wanted to focus their efforts on the review.

6 minutes ago, Bonist55 said:

Yeah, at my interview Mar 1 they said they were granted an early review (which I guess never happens) and it was to be conducted at the end of March.  They followed up that discussion by telling us that they likely wouldn't make the final class decisions until after the review because they wanted to focus their efforts on the review.

Oh was it a site visit or the arc-pa meeting review? The site visit comes a couple of months before the arc-pa review board meets. It sounds like a site visit because I don’t think the arc pa review requires any effort on the schools part. They just meet then call the school to let them know if they’ve been accredited or not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Almortega said:

Oh was it a site visit or the arc-pa meeting review? The site visit comes a couple of months before the arc-pa review board meets. It sounds like a site visit because I don’t think the arc pa review requires any effort on the schools part. They just meet then call the school to let them know if they’ve been accredited or not. 

It must have been a site visit.  But hopefully it went well!  Can you let us know how many students are on the FB page now?  A friend of mine just received a wait list email that said Lipscomb has offered 35 seats and there are currently no other seats available.  I thought they were offering 40.

1 hour ago, Bonist55 said:

It must have been a site visit.  But hopefully it went well!  Can you let us know how many students are on the FB page now?  A friend of mine just received a wait list email that said Lipscomb has offered 35 seats and there are currently no other seats available.  I thought they were offering 40.

There are still only 31 students in the Facebook group. I know that they say that on the email but they still may have not decided on the final 4. It also might take a couple of days for aven to send them the link 

6 minutes ago, ts113 said:

Does anyone know on average how many people usually get accepted off the waitlist for PA schools? Also anyone that has gotten accepted when do you have to accept your seat by?

It honestly depends on the school. Some schools have more seats like 90 so they have a lot of people that move off the waitlist, while other schools only take like 1-2 people from the waitlist. I don’t really remember but I had like two weeks to submit my deposit. Also people sometimes decline their seat after putting down a deposit. 

12 minutes ago, Almortega said:

It honestly depends on the school. Some schools have more seats like 90 so they have a lot of people that move off the waitlist, while other schools only take like 1-2 people from the waitlist. I don’t really remember but I had like two weeks to submit my deposit. Also people sometimes decline their seat after putting down a deposit. 

That is true I was just trying to figure out like the latest date they could potentially accept me from the waitlist if that were to happen. Do schools ever tell you like what number you are on the waitlist or how does that work?

That is true I was just trying to figure out like the latest date they could potentially accept me from the waitlist if that were to happen. Do schools ever tell you like what number you are on the waitlist or how does that work?

I’ve never been given a rank from the schools I am waitlisted at. I was given a range at one school but I kind of had to ask for it. They can accept you from the waitlist up until the first day of class, pretty much every school does it that way. I have heard that that does happen sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received an email from aven yesterday that said the site visit went great! However they don’t receive feedback from the arc-pa until June. She stressed that they are very confident about their program even though they are unable to guarantee anything. Just thought I’d share that here as some of you asked about the site visit in March.

• Upvote 1

If the application for CASPA opens on April 26th, 2018, and classes aren't required to submit grades until mid-May, how much does that hurt your chances of getting in?

Also, if anyone wanted to look at stats, I'm applying to Lipscomb's program for October of 2019 and am really excited/nervous/don't know what my real chances are!

GPA:3.245

Healthcare Hours: Pharmacy Technician (120+) (Sep. 2017- Jan. 2018)

Patient Care Hours: I'm starting as an online medical scribe this July and working 24 hours/week and will be starting my senior year at Belmont University as a Neuroscience major, so anticipating 750+ hours by May of next year.

Shadowing: 8 hours in the OR with a surgical PA at Vanderbilt University Medical Center this April (pending a date), anticipating another 8 hour block this fall, and another 8 hour block next spring (you may shadow for one eight hour day per semester)

Volunteer Hours: 300+

Vanderbilt UMC Emergency Department (Nashville, TN): ED Volunteer (50+ hours) Nov. 2017- current

St. Thomas West ED (Nashville, TN): ED Volunteer (50+ hours) Nov. 2017- current

Mease Countryside Hospital (Clearwater, Florida): General Volunteer (Probably 200+)

Undergraduate Research: 

Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the Sciences (Belmont University): Focused on Nanotechnology June-July 2018

Internships:

Medical Center in Germany (more details to come): May-June 2018 OR July-August 2018, shadowing in nearly every department and helping around the hospital (super excited)!

Clubs:

Future Physician Assistants of Belmont University (Fall 2018- May 2019) *President*

Nu Rho Psi (Neuroscience Club) (Honor Society- January 2018 to current)

National Residence Hall Honorary (Honor Society-Spring 2017 to current)

Relay for Life of Belmont University (Spring 2017 to current) *Logistics Chair*

Vanderbilt Tau Beta Sigma National Honorary Band Sorority (Fall 2016-May 2017)

Vanderbilt University Spirit of Gold Marching Band (Fall 2016-May 2017) *Freshman Rep*

Hail Hall Community Council (Fall 2016-May 2017) *Officer*

I know this was long, so if you read it/replied, I really appreciate it! Good luck with your results!!

Science Courses/Grades:

Course

Term

General Psychology

TA

Spring 2015

Medical Terminology

A

Fall 2018

Biology 1

TB

Spring 2016

Biology 1 Lab

TB

Spring 2016

General Chemistry 1

TB

Spring 2016

General Chemistry 1 Lab

TA

Spring 2016

Anatomy and Physiology 1

B-

Fall 2016

Anatomy and Physiology 2**

C+

Spring 2018

Genetics

C+

Fall 2017

Microbiology**

C

Spring 2018

General Chemistry 2

C-

Fall 2017

Cognitive Psychology **

A-

Fall 2018

Physio Psychology**

A-

Fall 2018

Learning and Conditioning Psychology**

A-

Spring 2019

Neuroimaging**

A-

Fall 2018

Sensation and Perception Psychology **

A-

Spring 2019

Research Methods**

B+

Spring 2018

Neuro Seminar

A

Fall 2017

CAS Capstone**

A

Summer 2018

Neurobiology**

B

Spring 2018

College Algebra

TA

Fall 2014

Trigonometry

TB

Fall 2015

Statistics

TB

Fall 2015

Pre-Calculus Algebra

TC

Fall 2015

Pre-Calculus Based Physics 1

C-

Fall 2017

Pre-Calculus Based Physics 2**

C-

Spring 2018

Biological Sciences

TA

Fall 2014

Intro Chemistry Lab

TB

Fall 2015

Intro Chemistry

TB

Fall 2015

It’s hard to say what lipscomb is looking for. There were a lot of people that applied and didn’t get an interview and I’m not sure what they looked like on paper. Any PA school that you apply to can be somewhat of a crapshoot. For example I couldn’t get an interview at any school in New Mexico even though those were theoretically the easiest schools to get an interview at. But I did end up interviewing for a pa school that is top three in the nation and is extremely competitive. So my point with that is that you just don’t know.

Gpa is fine but if you get a chance to raise it, that will only help your application. Also get as many patient care hours as possible. I would try to do something that is in person rather than online. Patient care is so so important and many applicants have upwards of 2,000+ doing things like EMT or CNA and you will have to compete with that. I did clinical research and even some PA schools were a little put off by that and I ended up getting a prn MA job just to help my application.

My other piece of advice is write a really good personal statement. It really matters and will set you apart from other candidates. My personal statement was very unique and I truly believe it’s the reason I had 6 interviews instead of 0.

It looks like you have some C’s in some prerequisite courses. You may want to retake those for a better grade in the future if you are unsuccessful this round. If you are going to take organic chemistry this upcoming year, make sure you receive an A in those courses and it will negate your general chemistry grades and you wouldn’t need to worry about retaking them

you will probably need to retake general chemistry II because Lipscomb will not allow there to be a prerequisite below a C. 

I just received an email of denial following my interview Mar 1.  It is very disheartening to not even be offered a position on the waitlist especially when I met and surpassed all of the criteria of the accepted students.  This just goes to show that you can't please everyone and you never can tell what a school is looking for.  I tried my best and was my genuine self.  Can't go wrong there.  Best of luck to those offered a seat or are on the waitlist.  This school's program should be exceptional.  

Does anyone knew when do most pa school starts? Is it May. Do you think people in the Wait list have a chance to get in? 

It seems like now is the time when schools are shifting and finalizing their classes but of course this can continue to happen until the fall. I will actually be giving up my spot as I have just officially accepted another offer this morning. So there will be a spot for someone to fill in the near future. Also someone dropped off the Facebook group. Not sure if they deleted their Facebook or gave up their spot but there potentially may be two spots open.
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Almortega said:

It seems like now is the time when schools are shifting and finalizing their classes but of course this can continue to happen until the fall. I will actually be giving up my spot as I have just officially accepted another offer this morning. So there will be a spot for someone to fill in the near future. Also someone dropped off the Facebook group. Not sure if they deleted their Facebook or gave up their spot but there potentially may be two spots open.

Congratulations! Hopefully those that are waitlisted will hear back this week

• Upvote 1

@Mirhan Most PA schools interview the fall with class starts in June every year. There are a few PA schools that are an exception to that like Lipscomb who interview their incoming students in the winter/spring for a Fall start (August or October). There are also a handful of schools that have January class starts and interview sporadically throughout the year.

With that said, most students who get accepted to one school, but aren't accepted to their dream school yet, might take a seat in the program you want to get into. Being on the waitlist isn't too bad because there are many students in the middle of the application cycle that will reserve their seat, then take another seat somewhere else and withdraw their place. Unfortunately, since Lipscomb interviewed and sent out acceptances "late" in the application cycle. The students who are accepted most likely have heard back from all the other programs they applied to and intend to stay. Therefore, the waitlist won't be a fluid as it normally is.

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2018 at 2:15 PM, Almortega said:

Would you mind letting us know why you decided to accept a seat at another school?  I have a friend who lives close to me here in California that didn't apply to Lipscomb because of the fact the program was not yet accredited and wonder if that factored into your decision process.  Good luck to you either way.

Would you mind letting us know why you decided to accept a seat at another school?  I have a friend who lives close to me here in California that didn't apply to Lipscomb because of the fact the program was not yet accredited and wonder if that factored into your decision process.  Good luck to you either way.

Not really but sort of? There was another school I was waitlisted at that was accredited but I would have chosen lipscomb over that school. The honest answer is that I got in to a school that is ranked third in the nation for PA schools. It was my number one choice from the get go.

• Upvote 1