Will/Can Independent Practice Rights Be Revoked?

I read something on Reddit recently that got me thinking: 

The more I hear about independent practice rights being obtained and the associated opinions of other colleagues, specifically physicians, the more disdain I hear. Does anyone think there will be a turning point in which the independence will be revoked and the traditional "supervised" role will be reinstated? Or has the fate been sealed?

Well first of all we are years from OTP or independent practice so it is way too early to think about revocation. That said absent some compelling reason it will not be revoked. Given that NPs have had independent practice in many states for a while now and the dead bodies aren't stacking up I'd say the possibility is pretty close to zero.

Physicians are, collectively, arrogant and controlling. Their opinions are more self serving than patient centric. Money, power, control all masked under the guise of patient safety. In all the years I have been working legislative issues I have always asked physicians to provide measurable data to support their claims of inferior care or higher costs. They can't because there isn't any.

31 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Well first of all we are years from OTP or independent practice so it is way too early to think about revocation. That said absent some compelling reason it will not be revoked. Given that NP have had independent practice in many states for a while now and the dead bodies aren't staking up I'd say the possibility is pretty close to zero.

Physicians are, collectively, arrogant and controlling. Their opinions are more self serving than patient centric. Money, power, control all masked under the guise of patient safety. In all the years I have been working legislative issues I have always asked physicians to provide measurable data to support their claims of inferior care or higher costs. They can't because there isn't any.

Agreed. 

As for the discussion about revocation, I suppose I was just wondering about the NP independence. And yes, it's too early to think about for PAs, but like you said NPs have had it for years. However, it is understanding that most hospital systems still require physician collaboration and cosignatures despite independence. Do you think this will change as lobbyists gain more ground?

Do you think we'll see change as more green PAs/NPs are graduated, which seems to be the recent trend?

I think there is such a huge shortage of primary care providers that it will be a while before we start to see market saturation. Right now specific markets are flooded but that will self correct. If there are no jobs people will spread out to find work.

I think the market will correct most things. People will move in and out of primary/specialty care depending on all the different market forces. I think simple finances will keep us in the markets for a long time.

As the system at large gets used to the idea of someone besides a physician being independent it will less and less of an issue and insurers and employers will, eventually, follow suit. It will take a long time but it will come. Collaboration at the practice level will probably go on for a long long time but folks will go where the requirements suit their needs. Want to work joined at the hip with a physician? Find that job. Want to be left alone for the most part? Find that job.

It will be dynamic and exciting...which can be good or bad. Ever heard the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"? Folks who are young in the profession are in for a ride. I'll be long gone...

29 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I think there is such a huge shortage of primary care providers that it will be a while before we start to see market saturation. Right now specific markets are flooded but that will self correct. If there are no jobs people will spread out to find work.

I think the market will correct most things. People will move in and out of primary/specialty care depending on all the different market forces. I think simple finances will keep us in the markets for a long time.

As the system at large gets used to the idea of someone besides a physician being independent it will less and less of an issue and insurers and employers will, eventually, follow suit. It will take a long time but it will come. Collaboration at the practice level will probably go on for a long long time but folks will go where the requirements suit their needs. Want to work joined at the hip with a physician? Find that job. Want to be left alone for the most part? Find that job.

It will be dynamic and exciting...which can be good or bad. Ever heard the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"? Folks who are young in the profession are in for a ride. I'll be long gone...

Interesting times indeed. Thank you for your insight!

• 1 month later...

So we don't even have the Optimal Team Practice model in place which is still a far cry from independent practice.  I think OPT is a mistake and going to just waste years of our time.  OPT is something we should have tried pushing 10 years ago, but the NPs are way too far ahead of us now.  And it is having ramifications in the job market now for NPs vs PAs in states with independent practice.  Our leadership is failing us with OTP.

Silly please expand on what you are saying. Not being provocative just interested. The nurses are way ahead of us in independence so us making some changes that will help level that difference is failing us how? Are you saying we should move towards full independence? If we are behind, and we are, we have to catch up.

Archived