PTO and Hurricane Harvey

Office officially opened today, Thursday,  Docs could not get there and even today it is the PA who is covering.  The company is requiring the employees to use 2 days of PTO for Tuesday and Wednesday.  This is an 11 office allergy practice in Houston, TX

IMHO if the office was not able to open then the employees should not be penalized and use vacation time.  This is not about me but someone else.

PS the docs make $500K!!  

There should be some kind of insurance as there is for landlords and interruption of rental income.  I know it is standard.  In the 18 years I owned my family practice in NY under similar circumstances with weather issues causing us to close, I paid my staff their salary.  Maybe that is why I had the same 4 girls for 18 years.  A friend of mine that owns a restaurant had water damage that occurred several years ago but he had insurance that paid all the staff their salary.  He opened 3 months later and entire staff was there.  I am basically venting.  Why is it those who have always want more and don't care if they take it from those who are largely responsible for their bloated salaries!!  sorry  vented again.

I'm confused.  Are you saying that the employer is really forcing people to use PTO?  Or are they giving you the option of 

1)  Use your PTO to get paid 

2)  Don't use your PTO and don't get paid 

If they give you the option then this is perfectly reasonable.  Do you really think the employer should be forced to pay for employees when the office is closed?  That's absurd.

51 minutes ago, TWR said:

Gordon,  Yes I do for natural disasters.  

I agree.  When Hurricane Rita struck my area in 2005, the small critical access hospital where I worked, closed for a little more than a month due to damages.  We received full paychecks on our regular schedule, because the hospital was insured against loss of business income.  To be quite truthful, the majority of us were surprised to find out we would continue to be paid.  At that time, the hospital never batted an eyelash over it.  I actually took a long motorcycle trip during the downtime.  When operations resumed, we all went back to actually working for our money.

I would suspect that many businesses carry this type of insurance.  Whether or not they divulge that to employees is another question. ;)

59 minutes ago, ral said:

I agree.  When Hurricane Rita struck my area in 2005, the small critical access hospital where I worked, closed for a little more than a month due to damages.  We received full paychecks on our regular schedule, because the hospital was insured against loss of business income.  To be quite truthful, the majority of us were surprised to find out we would continue to be paid.  At that time, the hospital never batted an eyelash over it.  I actually took a long motorcycle trip during the downtime.  When operations resumed, we all went back to actually working for our money.

I would suspect that many businesses carry this type of insurance.  Whether or not they divulge that to employees is another question. ;)

1. I think you would be surprised how many don't carry this type of insurance because it can be expensive.

2. There is usually a timeline involved before it kicks in - sort of like a deductible.

Still think it's ridiculous though.  The MAs/CNAs make less than $13/hr while the docs make over $300,000 - and it's usually the extenders that purchase small gifts for holidays/birthdays.

Archived