Reading between school and job starting

Case File Series is nicely done. Explains medical decision making behind the tests to order and treatments. There's an IM and FM book in that series, both of which are really high yield for the cases you'll likely be seeing.

I'd also recommend you brush up on all of the screening guidelines. Additionally, AAFP has some nice primary care articles that you can find on google for various examinations (shoulder, knee, etc).

Congratulations on your new position.

I think the most understated resources is...Uptodate.  Personal subscriptions are 57 a month, and worth every penny. Besides for Cat 1 CME credit, it has saved me so many times in clinical practice.  Might not be much to read beforehand, but read it late at night and review  EVERYTHING you see, as you are able, and you will learn a ton.

"Minor emergencies" is more urgent-care-ish, but a lot of crossover into primary care. Worth having with you/browsing at leisure.

Don't go too nuts. A lot of learning will be too out of context now, makes a lot more sense when you can match study with actual patients...once you actually SEE it you will not forget it.

Archived