HCE- Wanting to know if it counts, before I take the job.

I've been a PRN phlebotomist for 4 years as a college student, and I want to expand on my HCE. I don't have the time right now to become an EMT or CNA, but I did applied for a job that works directly with children that have specific healthcare needs such as genetic disorders, autism, you name it. The job is as a skill developer, so basically I work on fine motor/gross motor skills, speech, etc. Before I take the job, I want to know if you think schools would count as HCE. It is kind of a gray area, and that is why I am bringing the question to the forum.

I don't know. To me, HCE should be medical in nature. Though your opportunity sounds like a good one if you're interested in children's mental health, it doesn't sound especially medically-driven. Your time as a phlebotomist would def count, though. I second the opinion that it's best just to call the schools you're interested in and ask, that way you know for sure.

Hmm. Sounds like peds rehab, but that obviously requires an occupational, physical, or speech therapy license. I did some of what you describe as a pediatric rehab aide and it definitely counted as direct experience, but I would clarify your role before accepting the job. "Skill developer" is awfully broad and your description encompasses things that take years of training to do safely and properly.

Archived