i am coming up on contract negotiations. Most likely I plan on staying. I have been here for 5 years and really like it, mainly because of who I work for/with. Something that would help me progress financially would be paying down student loans. I am already at a high salary and get some bonuses. The only thing I could think of that would improve the money situation would be some sort of loan repayment. Ideally, tax free for me and clinic, money goes directly to loan, lowers principle and overall cost of loan, and I still write off loan interest. I do understand there are some tax codes against this but it is changing. (https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/108/text)

I have run into another option through https://studentloangenius.com/. Does anyone have experience with them?

Any other creative options to minimize tax implications but still drive money to loans? I would even accept slight decrease in salary for larger amount to loans IF there were also tax benefits.

Hello,

I paid off 100k in loans already and I can say that there are numerous ways to approach it. Employer loan repayment, military reserve, 10 years of nonprofit work, higher salaried positions, 2nd job, lowering lifestyle choices, etc. 

Basically it all boils down to the same question, what are you most comfortable with? You want the fastest solution- work 60-70 hours per week and reduce spending to the basics for two years. Even its not 100% paid off you, you'll address the feeling of burden. Also, you might learn something about your self along he way.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

You're already at "high salary with bonuses"....start living like you were a student again and I'll bet your Stu Loans go away quick.

This. 

My loans were completely paid off four years to the day that I started repayment.  How?  A couple ways.  I lived like I was still a student.  I created a reasonable savings/safety account equivalent to about six months of living expenses.  I took my monthly student loan payment, divided by two, then rounded up to the nearest $100.   With every paycheck (paid every other week) I took that rounded up amount and paid that.  With 26 pay periods a year that equates to more than 13 monthly payments a year.  Then I dumped every available extra cent and all my bonus checks into paying off my loans. 

If you can still write off your student loan interest on your taxes I suspect our definitions of "high salary with bonuses" may be different.  However, that's not to say it can't be done.  You've had five years of loan repayment so far.  You should have a reasonable dent in what you owe.  Ideally you already have a reasonable savings account established.  Live below your means.    Start dumping everything you have available into your loans.  They really will go away pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

At some point, you will realize you need to stop picking around at taxes and math and just start throwing hunks of money at the loan companies. As my pal Dave says, if you were clever at math you wouldn't be in this mess to start. ;) If you had enough money for the tax implications of student loan repayment to really affect you, you would just pay off the loans and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the responses but I was not asking about a visit with Dave Ramsey. I understand budgeting needs and actions. I am not going to go into greater details but several life events have diverted a large amount of funds, including several major surgeries and lengthy hospitalizations for my son. I am grateful for my higher than average salary that has allowed us to get through all of that.

So, my real question was to see about creative options to continue to chip away at loans in addition to what I already pay. I feel it would be a creative way to negotiate my upcoming contract renewal. Has anyone been able to set something up similar to what my post suggested?

Hey Don, if this comes off as Dave Ramsey-ish, I apologize.  If I were you, I would take a higher salary rather than trying to get them pay down your debt.  This is for 2 reasons, you've already been working 5 years(and presumably paying down debt) you probably don't have a huge amount of debt left.  Second, you said you like where you work, so that may mean you will be there a while.  So if that's the case, I would think that a rise in salary over the long term would benefit you more than the employer paying your debt for you.  

If you aren't sure, plug your existing student loan info into this student loan repayment calculator and see what throwing a few hundred extra bucks per month will do to paying off your loans faster.  Then after you are done paying it off, you'll continue getting those extra few bucks from your higher salary.  Hope this helps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mclipperton
      Hi Everyone!
      New grad currently negotiating part-time PA position in Family Practice. I've done clinical rotations and scribed at a Family Practice office in NYC and will be working part-time until I start a Residency program in the fall. Trying to figure out what I should expect in a part-time contract if anything in terms of benefits, PTO, CME, etc. Also, trying to discern if it is in my best interest to be a part-time employee or 1099. 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By pursuitofPA
      I am currently finishing up my didactic portion of PA school and considering the amount of loan debt I will have, I am considering enlisting into the airforce or navy after completing PA school in 12/2020.  I was previously an Occupational Therapist though I am not sure if that will matter regarding pay etc. If anyone has advice regarding this process and details on loan repayment, I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By June4k
      Any one have any experience with hospital loan repayment?
      I started a job in a rural area three years ago at a hospital that offers $20,000 per year towards loan repayment.  That money is then forgiven after 3 years of service on the back end.  So long story short I have been at my job now for just shy of three years and have taken out a total of 60,000 from them for loan repayment.  I had full intention of staying at this position indefinitely but circumstances at the hospital make that no longer an option, and I'm looking for a new position with a more stable environment.  My impression is that if I leave my job at this time, the hospital could ask back for approx 40,000$.. which is far too large of a sum for me to just write a check for...
      Anyone have any experience with hospitals that offer promissory notes for loan repayment? Trying to figure out if there is anyway to navigate this situation that won't bankrupt me.
    • By postsynaptic24
      So i've received this offer  from an UC ,and I was looking over the employment offer and some things stood out to me.  I just wanted to get you guys take on it.  I've included the concerning parts below.
      Does the first part before the non compete clause mean that I cant have a second job outside of the clinic, like if I wanted to do part-time/prn at a hospital?  As for the non-compete, is it basically saying I cant work at any other UC for 2 years after I leave?     I'd really appreciate the feedback! Thanks
      - Employer hereby employs Provider to devote Provider’s working time, best efforts and loyalty to providing health care services as determined by Employer and set forth herein and on Schedule 1.01 attached hereto and made a part hereof. Provider shall provide the Services exclusively for Employer at the Clinics on a full-time basis (as defined in Schedule 1.01). Provider shall not, without the prior written consent of Employer, except as provided on Schedule 1.01(b), render professional services for compensation to or for any person, firm, corporation, or other organization aside from those services rendered pursuant to this Agreement, whether Provider is acting by himself/herself or as an officer, director, employee, shareholder, partner or fiduciary for another.
      - Non-Competition Covenant.
      (a) Provider recognizes that the covenants contained in this Section 1.14 are an essential part of this Agreement and that, but for the agreement of each of them to comply with such covenants, Employer would not have entered into this Agreement. Provider agrees that during the Term of this Agreement and for two (2) years thereafter Provider shall not:
      (i) directly or indirectly, either as principal, agent, employee, independent contractor, consultant, director, officer, employer, manager, medical or nursing director, medical or nursing officer, advisor, stockholder, partner, member, owner or in any other individual or representative capacity whatsoever, either Provider’s own benefit or for the benefit of any other Person (other than Employer or any medical practice, walk-in clinic or urgent care clinic managed by Employer or its Affiliates) either knowingly (A) hire, attempt to hire, contact or solicit with respect to hiring any Other Employee (as hereinafter defined) or (B) induce or otherwise counsel, advise, solicit or encourage any Other Employee to leave or resign his or her employment;
      (ii) act or serve, directly or indirectly, as a principal, director, officer, manager, or advisor with or for, or acquire a direct or indirect ownership interest in or otherwise conduct (whether as stockholder, partner, member, investor, joint venturer, or as owner of any other type of interest), any Competing Business (as such term is defined herein); provided, however, that this clause will not prohibit Provider from being the owner of up to two percent (2%) of any class of outstanding securities of any company or entity if such class of securities is publicly traded; or
      (iii) directly or indirectly, either as principal, agent, employee, independent contractor, consultant, director, officer, employer, medical director, medical officer, advisor, stockholder, partner, member or owner or in any other individual or representative capacity whatsoever, either for their own benefit or for the benefit of any other Person, call upon, solicit, divert or take away, any patients, customers or clients of the Clinics, or any medical practice, walk-in clinic or urgent care clinic managed by Employer or its Affiliates.
    • By PSU5006
      Hello all

Im a PA 5 years out at a private out of network ortho surgery practice. Ive been with the practice for 3 years and have been praise with my performance. Its 7 docs and 5 PA's so we are carrying a larger work load. I'm on call one weekday a week and one weekend a month. I feel that my compensation is lacking since the weekend Im on call included surgical cases, ER consults and floor consults. Us PA;s literally do what ortho residents would do. We have the most autonomy of any position I have come across. I am currently getting paid 140k with the full weekend of call and I know I am getting underpaid. Dose anyone have any advice as to how to negotiate a better pay?
      TIA

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More