What's your favorite app?

• Administrator

I use many of the above: UpToDate when connected, Medscape with local download for when I'm not.  Pedi QuickCalc is really good for peds stuff, but boy I wish they'd default to generic names for the meds.  MedscapeCME is a separate app, good if you can't afford UpToDate for CME.  ICD10 consult if you do your own coding (I do).

Thanks everyone for your input. I had epocrates in school.. Just expired and wasn't sure if I should use CME money to purchase again, so just got to wondering what the pros use in day to day for whatever purpose. I do like the calculators, esp ASCVD. And always wondered about John Hopkins. Also going to try out that ICD 10 app. I imagine will be helpful. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, you can't beat UpToDate for breadth of topics covered, depth of coverage of each, and ease of use. The summary makes it easy to reference quickly as a point-of-care resource, but you can also get real deep into the weeds if you want. Their MobileComplete option is amazing - you can have the entire library stored locally on your device, with no internet connection required. As a Navy PA, this was invaluable to me. I had everything on my iPad Mini no matter where I was - at sea, throughout the Middle East in very austere conditions, field exercises while in garrison, etc. Many of those times I was operating as a solo provider (while still a pretty fresh PA) with little to no ability to "phone a friend," at least not in a timely fashion. It was a good safety net to have while I built up my clinical confidence and competence.

About the only downside to UpToDate is cost. Luckily, the Navy has an institutional subscription (for the time being), so I can use it at work for free. The MobileComplete option is only available to individual subscribers (~$500, IIRC) and carries an additional cost (+$50), so I was out-of-pocket for that. I let it lapse after returning home from deployment, but if/when I go out again, I will definitely renew my subscription without thinking twice.

• 2 months later...

Wunderlist!!!  It has nothing to do with medicine, but it rocks for groceries and what I need at Home Depot!

Having said that...UpToDate is awesome in a desktop browser, kinda
"meh" on a smart phone. Epocrates for smartphone (I know those were excluded from your question).  

Medscape is increasingly not my go-to, though I used to like them.  

Bugs+Drugs was great, but is no longer supported. MMIT is OK for getting a ballpark on insurance drug coverage, but only a ballpark.  I've tried/used a few lab reference apps, but haven't been impressed and they don't offer anything Epocrates doesn't offer. 

Sanford is nice and is considered the gold standard by some, but they don't seem to offer much that you can't get elsewhere from UpToDate or Epocrates, and I assume they don't have the research resources that UpToDate or Epocrates has.

Same with calculator apps.  Epocrates has plenty of calculators too and they are usually better.

3 years post-grad and all I use now is UpToDate (desktop) and Epocrates (mobile).  Medscape from time-to-time, but I'm using them less all the time. Just don't see the benefits of anything else.

Archived