Rejections

• Administrator

All it takes is one acceptance!

Remember, however, that applying to more schools only significantly helps candidates "on the bubble":

* There are those candidates who will get in everywhere: 3.8, LOR from Surgeon General, Dalai Lama, and UN Secretary general, 10 years experience as a combat medic, 5 with MSF, invented a field-expedient dialysis technique using common household items available in Cameroon,...
* There are those candidates who will get in NOWHERE: 2.8 GPA, 150 hours of HCE as CNA, charitable activities only include court-mandated community service...

And then there are those of us who fall in the middle, who might or might not get in to any particular program based on who we're up against, whether we're having an "on" day or not, and the like.  If you're in the first category, no help is needed.  If you're in the last, you're just wasting MORE money by applying more broadly.  In the middle, though... you'll benefit from applying more broadly, but especially if early, because let's face it: the programs that are holding spots, are looking for people in the first category who just happen to have been applying late.

31 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Remember, however, that applying to more schools only significantly helps candidates "on the bubble":

* There are those candidates who will get in everywhere: 3.8, LOR from Surgeon General, Dalai Lama, and UN Secretary general, 10 years experience as a combat medic, 5 with MSF, invented a field-expedient dialysis technique using common household items available in Cameroon,...
* There are those candidates who will get in NOWHERE: 2.8 GPA, 150 hours of HCE as CNA, charitable activities only include court-mandated community service...

And then there are those of us who fall in the middle, who might or might not get in to any particular program based on who we're up against, whether we're having an "on" day or not, and the like.  If you're in the first category, no help is needed.  If you're in the last, you're just wasting MORE money by applying more broadly.  In the middle, though... you'll benefit from applying more broadly, but especially if early, because let's face it: the programs that are holding spots, are looking for people in the first category who just happen to have been applying late.

I agree with Rev, and I like to think he knows what he's talking about! If it were earlier, I would suggest applying more broadly. It is not the end of the world if you do not get in this cycle (although, I know it definitely feels like it). I got in this cycle and did not expect to, and now I can't help but think that I would have been just fine if I didn't start for another year. I would spend the next year increasing your PCE/HCE hours, shadowing hours, GPA, etc. Maybe do something that makes you stand out (are you bilingual? have you done a mission trip?). Try not to be disheartened. If you want this, you will get in. :)

One last note, the program I was accepted to is still extending interview invites and it starts in January, so don't lose all hope. 

You've only heard back from one schools. You may get accepted into one of the remaining four. Last minute acceptance letters are actually pretty common. Also, feel free to reach out to the schools to inquire about your status.

Worst Case Scenario: You aren't accepted this cycle. No sweat! I know plenty of people that didn't get into a school their first application cycle. My advice: strengthen your application in any way that you can. Retake a course that you may have gotten a C in, increase patient care hours, join an organization/volunteer. Continue to research programs so that you may apply to a larger number of schools in the upcoming cycle. Don't give up hope. Good luck!

On 8/23/2017 at 7:56 PM, rev ronin said:

"Field-expedient dialysis"  I LOL'd. 

Make sure you are applying to schools in the state you currently reside! Many schools state clearly on their website they give preference to residents. If you looked at statistics for schools, many will show very high % for students who live in the area. There are still two days left! 

Archived