I'm in a tangle at the moment. I finally got a job as a direct care support staff member for Rescare (if anyone knows the company). I would basically be helping people with daily living in assisted living homes, but also be doing more medically related tasks such as taking vitals and distributing medication. However, I'd only be able to work weekends.

I just got an offer to be a medical screener for a plasma donation center. I would take the usual vital signs of patients and also check hemotin and protein levels through finger pricks. I would actually be able to work full time with the hours they would let me work, but it sounds like they would replace the direct care support job.

Do you guys think PA schools would hold being a medical screener in a higher regard than a direct support staff member? I would be able to get more hours as a medical screener done and I paid better. But, with the low gpa of 3.2 I need all the boosting I can get with my experiences so I'm willing to stick with the weekend work and keep looking for other work.

It's difficult too because I'm taking 4 classes this semester and it only leaves my monday wednesday fridays and weekends available. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help. 

Have you thought of contacting the schools that you have or will be applying to inquire about how they feel about the hours from  plasma donation center. I personally do not think it would be a problem. 

15 hours ago, PSU1012 said:

but it sounds like they would replace the direct care support job.

I am confused about this statement. If the plasma center is going to hire you as a medical screener only to eventually replace the job, then it does not sound like a good option. I know gaining hours is important, but your GPA is also vital to your application. What classes are you taking? You want to ensure you can put in the time/effort to get As in your coursework while working and not burning out halfway through the semester. The position at Rescare sounds like it might meet both your goals of gaining PCE while having enough time to get good grades.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Cosette
      I  think I am at my final draft and would love for someone to review it/read it over. Have looked at is soo many times that its hard to see any mistakes or weak points at this time. Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I will send it over.
      Please and thank you!
    • By nyc9009
      I have 2 Bachelors in Sciences.
      Bioscience & Medical Lab Scientist (Dual Degree) - Cum Laude Science Technology& Society (concentration in health and wellness) -  Cum Laude My cGPA is 3.61 with a sGPA of 3.52.
      My PCE hours are as a PT aide at a rehabilitation center and working as a MA at a clinic for a total of 1,275.  
      I have 200 hours shadowing a PA in internal medicine. 
      I have 250 hours volunteering at a place of worship, where I helped prepare and served food to the congregants. 
      I have 4 recommendation letters
      PA that I shadowed MD that i worked for  A&P professor  Molecular Biology professor  I have received good feedback on my personal statement as well. 
      I plan to submit by June 5th. 
      PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MY CHANCES ARE!
      I am freaking out!
    • By AKay89
      Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great week.
      I've been a dietitian now for almost 7 years (times FLIES!), however, I've been thinking about perusing PA ever since I was in my dietetic internship. I went even as far as shadowing the top PA at the local hospital during my dietetic internship.
      The PA plan kind of got pushed to the side due to life, getting full time dietitian jobs, advancing in my career and etc.  
      The PA route has ALWAYS been on the back of my mind, and now more than ever. I am the main dietitian in the neurosurgical ICU at my hospital, and cover several ICU's. It is apparent how much medicine interests me and how I yearn to be able to do more clinically and for the patient. I work directly with PA's, MD's, nurses, therapists, etc. Does any know if this counts as direct patient care? Additionally, I review labs, provide tube feeding and diet/vitamins recommendations, create nutrition diagnoses, educate patients and families, and etc. 
      Also, I am 30 years old, and likely have to retake some science courses, as they are now >10 years old. Need some encouragement that I am NOT too old to do this! 
      Thanks in advanced! 
      Ali 🙂

• By kdrilling
      Hi! I finished a draft of my personal statement and would be very appreciative if someone could critique it. 
    • By avanilla10
      Hi! So post grad life has changed my career plans from being a Doctor to a PA and honestly it's such a liberating feeling of not having to deal with the MCAT and residency. On the other hand, I don't know what my next steps should be since I made this decision very recently.
      Is there a specific program in the military (AF/Navy/Reserves?) where I can enter as an officer (I have a bachelor's in psychology and minor in sociology), get experience working in the hospital (in the pediatric ward if possible), then apply to PA school using those accrued hours as direct patient contact? And the number of X years I have to do in order to be able to get out of the military to pursue PA training?
      I would apply to PA school except I'm short on my PA pre-reqs since I've been doing pre-med pre-reqs all of undergrad, plus I didn't really get out there to work in a paid position that involves direct patient contact....and I haven't taken the GRE to boot. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but will my PA schooling, housing, etc be paid only if I get into a PA program prior to starting? Or is that a whole different program entirely dedicated for med and dental students?
      I know there's a lot to unpack here but if anyone could help me on how I should go about this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More