kmspac611

Otoscopic exam: use an endoscope?

So I recently saw a new device that Welch Allyn created where you can use a camera attached to your otoscope to look into the ear canal, take pictures and save for your record or show to your patient. I love the idea of being able to actually show the patient what you are seeing, but the attachment costs close to $1000, which does not seem financially plausible since you can't charge extra for a more detailed ear exam. I have seen devices online that look like mini endoscopes for the ear as well as videos of the big devices ENTs use to clean out compacted wax. 

TL;DR looking for people who use endoscopes for ear exams in their practice and what are your thoughts. Is a good benefit? Do you have the ability to clean the ear out well? What device do you use?

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By palife12
      Hi there! I'm a PA student looking to buy lightly used Ophthalmoscope & Otoscope for school. Anyone selling their old set?
    • By hatman
      BRAND NEW!
      Welch Allyn 97200-MS 3.5 V MacroView Diagnostic Set w/Li-Ion Handle   # 71900 3.5v Lithium Ion Smart Power Handle with AC charger # 23820 MacroView Otoscope/Throat Illuminator w/ LED Bulb # 24400 Otoscope Specula # 11820 PanOptic Ophthalmoscope with Patient Eyecup (Corneal Viewing Lens not included) w/ LED Bulb # 05258 PanOptic Hard Case  
      Retails for $770!!! Looking to sell for $550. Message me if you're interested, thank you!

• By smith4
      My school is having us get equipment for our physical diagnosis classes coming up (and rotations later on) and I need some insight into what the best option is. We have to choose from a few different packages instead of buying stuff separately.
      Pack 1 has a 3.5V diagnostic otoscope and a 3.5V standard ophthalmoscope.
      Pack 2 has a 3.5V diagnostic set with a coaxial ophthalmoscope and a macroview otoscope.
      There is a huge price differential and they seem to be telling us that if we are unsure we should get the 2nd, more expensive option. I have obviously never used an otoscope or ophthalmoscope before, but I have heard that the first option is entirely sufficient. Can anyone who has experience with any of these give me some insight into the differences and which are preferred/sufficient? 
    • By mrmaurer16
      I'm looking for a lightly used diagnostic set (oto/ophthalmoscope) for PA school. The school I'm attending said they are not doing a group order this year, therefore, I need to buy my own early. I'm interested in different brands/models etc. Reply to this thread or send me a message if you have any!

• By kbottone
      Selling medical equipment that I used only during PA school this past year. Condition is basically new. 
      Includes:
      - Welch Allyn PanOptic Oto/Ophthalmoscope 
      -  BP Cuff Kit with child, small adult, adult and large adult reusable sleeves
      - 512 Tuning Fork 
      - 128 Tuning Fork
      - Neurological Reflex Hammer 

PM if you are interested.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More