New to Texas: DEA and Supervision Questions

I just moved to Texas/got my PA license after practicing in another state for about 1 year. At an interview, a PA affiliated with the practice told me he does not have a DEA number and that when he needed to write for a controlled substance, he submitted it under his supervising doc's name. ...Is this allowed? My prior state required your supervising doc to co-sign chart within 72 hours of writing a controlled substance. I did see on the TMB site that PAs can write for 30 days of a controlled substance at a time and must document consultation with their supervisor before refilling. Is this correct?

Also, what are the requirements for supervising docs as far as signing charts? I looked through the TMB site and am not seeing specifics. My last state required "x"% of all charts to be co-signed. I'm quite certain the PA told me the doc doesn't sign his charts, which is surprising to me.

Any other pearls of wisdom about practice/ practice law in Texas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you fill out a rx, and doctor signs it and is okay with what you write on the prescription, there's really no difference in you actually writing the prescription and literally anyone else writing it- the doc is the one who signs it, so long as they know about and approve the prescription and there's charting to reflect this.

In Texas, there is no legal requirement for % of chart signage, or even that charts have to be co-signed.  The facility you work at may require a certain percentage, or the prescription delegation agreement between you and the doc may require a % of chart review, but nothing in state law requires it.  Starting Sept 1st, only requirement for prescription delegation is that you and the doc meet once a month- which could be via in person, teleconferencing or however y'all decide to do it- so long as it's outlined in the delegation agreement.  

Archived