Student -Program Mismatch

I am a current PA-S in my first year. Like most prospective students I researched school ranking, tuition, pre reqs , etc. Now that I have been accepted and school is underway I feel that I may have chosen the "wrong program for me". I still have that fire to become a PA and I don't think that my current program is horrible but I have had several instances in which I have pondered "maybe this isn't as good of a fit as I once thought".  There is constantly a lack of communication or miscommunication between faculty and the student body. I feel that there is a lack of resources and have often sat in front of several faculty members and felt as if they truly did not care nor were they invested in my success within the program. This was not the impression that I got during the application and/or interview process.  Because the PA profession is becoming so increasingly competitive and I am not exactly a spring chicken, I am not sure if leaving the program and beginning the application process all over is a good idea. Anyone else have similar feelings? Anyone have any advice. Please and thank you. 

Remember: the grass is always greener on the other side.

No program is perfect, even if it's perfect for you.  I guarantee you that there is NO student out there who appreciates miscommunication or feeling like faculty doesn't care.  That doesn't fit anyone.  And there are probably students at EVERY program who have similar issues.

No one can get a perfect picture of what a program will be like just from a day or two of interviewing.  That is night and day with sitting in class 5 days a week, studying constantly, and feeling the stress of PA school.

I would absolutely NOT leave and reapply.  There ARE reasons to leave a program but  "I don't think this is the best fit" is not anywhere near the top of the list.

Couple of thoughts:

1) I think anyone who gave you an interview after you left your current program would ask you why you left. Then immediately reject you because why would they take the risk of loosing a seat to you because you may leave again. And thats IF you could get an interview. They'll know you went to another PA program 1 way or another (transcript reporting on CASPA comes to mind first).

2) Seems incredibly foolish. Who cares if it's what you expected, put your head down and crack on. Thousands of kids would kill to have your seat.

3) The "best fit" concept just doesn't reconcile with me. You can't adapt and overcome? PA's do that every day. It also seems incredibly pretentious. It makes me want to laugh and point at you.  

4) have your class officers address these concerns at the faculty meetings, work up towards the program director.

5) The troll part of me wants you to drop out and try again, just to see what happens, but I don't think it would be good. 

**insert anecdote about how things are never what they seem**  

I apologize for the bluntness but you asked and I don't want to do the disservice of not being honest with you. 

*Disclaimer - I could be 100% wrong. 

I am also a current S1 and often feel the same way you do! You are not alone and I think a fair amount of students go through these feelings. I've come to realize some schools have a "sink or swim" or "weed out" mentality and some have a "once you're in, we WILL get you through" mentality. In my case, I turned down a top school for my current ho-hum program so I wouldn't have to uproot my family, so I often wonder if the grass really would have been greener. I feel as if the faculty want struggling students to fail out so that they won't mess up their precious PANCE pass rates. Like yours, my program also has a fundamental communication problem that results in endless drama. We have already had a couple students leave due to "personal reasons" one of which I know was a serious depression due to poor performance.

HOWEVER, I remind myself daily that "a million girls would kill for this job" and in less than a year now, we will be on to clinicals and at least not have to endure daily interaction with faculty. Ask yourself, what is worse- finishing out the year or starting all over again some where else? You made it this far, you can get to the finish line!

giphy.gif

Suck it up buttercup. No program is prefect. if there is something you aren't receiving, its your responsibility to receive it. Start reading every book you can get your hands on. I promise the difference between you being a crapy provider and an excellent one is dictated more by you than your program.

• Administrator

I think some of the above comments are correct in direction, but a bit lacking in compassionate tone.  I suspect few have not considered what it would take to get them to drop out of their PA program.  Those memories fade once you're in successful practice, but I think if we're honest, everyone has been where the OP is... even if just for a few minutes.

Hang in there, survive, and then look back at it in relief.

• 3 weeks later...

8404PA

1. Very good point regarding future interviews should I decide to leave my current program. Although I did consider having to interview again I didn't factor in that they could feel as if i would "just leave again". Definitely something to consider. 

2. I don't think the fact that other people "would kill" to have my seat should play a factor in such a serious personal decision. I am contemplating traveling down a different path based on my personal needs,experiences and goals. 

3. I have attempted to adapt and overcome the best that I can thus far. Ex: investing in supplemental texts, reporting concerns to my faculty advisor, etc. Although I am not looking for rainbows & sunshine I do expect for the program that I invest 100k in to have professors that can respond to emails in a timely manner( or at all), provide competent and accurate information/explanations and also speak to you (an adult) with respect. ("not the best fit") 

4. The class officers have voiced similar concerns on more than one occasion and unfortunately have reported back to the rest of the student body that they "feel the same but based on feedback from faculty dont think that much will be done"

No need to apologize for what you described as "blunt". It is very important to get different opinions/perspectives and you provided me with just that. 

Thank You. 

I remember going absolutely nuts during my first year, as did everyone else in my class...I can definitely literally remember saying "they don't care about us as students, everything is disorganized, etc etc..."   It always feels that way. PA school is tough, it's drinking from a fire hose, and can e a three-ring-circus with practicing clinicians trying to drop in to teach you at ungodly hours, who are not, shal we say, trained and certified experts in pedagogy and scholastic learning styles.   It's always like this.  Mine was too.

Once you get past that, take a deep breath, and do your damnedest to learn if it be from books, class notes, etc etc, you will be OKAY.  Just realize that only you have your best, best interest in mind (the school can't always do that). Just plow through, realize that learning is always your burden even in the best schools (and the best jobs), and plow through it.  You'll be fine. Clinicals are where the real learning happens anyway, if you make it your business to.

Archived