COLORADO: Rocky Vista University

1 hour ago, Almortega said:

Thanks!! There were four days I believe with am and pm slots. It looks like you already interviewed? How was and it was the format? 

I cannot say enough positive things about each dedicated faculty member and their new program. They really make the stressful process a lot more comforting, because they truly want to get to know who you are as an individual. Just be yourself and you'll do great. 

1 hour ago, Bosanka27 said:

I cannot say enough positive things about each dedicated faculty member and their new program. They really make the stressful process a lot more comforting, because they truly want to get to know who you are as an individual. Just be yourself and you'll do great. 

Yay! that's exciting! Did they say that they were going to extend admissions offers after the December interviews or wait until the January interviews are complete?

Guest LoveAndHappiness

Hi everyone and congratulations on receiving an interview invite! I will be interviewing on 01/29, so if any information regarding the interview format isn't posted before then, I will make sure to let you know how mine went since it is the earliest one. 

I had a quick question. In the email confirming the interview date, it states that more info regarding the interview can be found on the portal but nothing shows up for me. I see stuff about the different tracks and electives but no additional information about the interview. Is that what you all see? Thank you! 

6 hours ago, LoveAndHappiness said:

Hi everyone and congratulations on receiving an interview invite! I will be interviewing on 01/29, so if any information regarding the interview format isn't posted before then, I will make sure to let you know how mine went since it is the earliest one. 

I had a quick question. In the email confirming the interview date, it states that more info regarding the interview can be found on the portal but nothing shows up for me. I see stuff about the different tracks and electives but no additional information about the interview. Is that what you all see? Thank you! 

I’m interviewing that day as well! Are you am or pm? I know there are people on here who have interviewed already and I’m not sure why they are not giving good information about the interview:(  but yes that’s all I see in my portal and it tells me my interview starts at 11 but the email said to be there at 12...I’m guessing there will be more information leading up to the interview. 

Guest LoveAndHappiness
4 hours ago, Almortega said:

I’m interviewing that day as well! Are you am or pm? I know there are people on here who have interviewed already and I’m not sure why they are not giving good information about the interview:(  but yes that’s all I see in my portal and it tells me my interview starts at 11 but the email said to be there at 12...I’m guessing there will be more information leading up to the interview. 

It’s okay. They were probably just busy with the holidays and New Year. But, I will be interviewing in the pm. I looked at interview reviews from the student doctor network for the DO program at Rocky Vista. I assumed the format of interviews will be the same across their programs. It seems to have been two one-on-one interviews each averaging about 30 minutes with a student panel and lunch. That’s all I could find digging around online. 

Does anybody know that if their for-profit status affects obtaining federal loans in any way? People often say that you can only take out private loans for such institutions, but I have been unable to figure out if this is true or not. I plan on funding part of my tuition with grad PLUS loans, so this is sort of a big issue for me. Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Rudeboyirie said:

Does anybody know that if their for-profit status affects obtaining federal loans in any way? People often say that you can only take out private loans for such institutions, but I have been unable to figure out if this is true or not. I plan on funding part of my tuition with grad PLUS loans, so this is sort of a big issue for me. Thoughts?

I know it may make you ineligible for some loan forgiveness programs but not the military’s loans forgiveness program or the HPSP. That would be a great question to ask at the interview. I know they said they want us to interview them as well! Also their listed tuition of 80,000 is lower than any of the schools I applied and interviewed at. 

9 hours ago, Almortega said:

I know it may make you ineligible for some loan forgiveness programs but not the military’s loans forgiveness program or the HPSP. That would be a great question to ask at the interview. I know they said they want us to interview them as well! Also their listed tuition of 80,000 is lower than any of the schools I applied and interviewed at. 

The website says 80k-85k, but I anticipate that this program will have a lot of out-of-pocket travel and housing costs for rotations. I do know that one of their DO students is currently a National Health Service Corps scholarship recipient, but maybe that's because their DO program has graduated multiple classes. I think since this will be their FIRST PA cohort, they may not qualify for federal loan/repayment support. Definitely something to consider!

14 minutes ago, Rudeboyirie said:

The website says 80k-85k, but I anticipate that this program will have a lot of out-of-pocket travel and housing costs for rotations. I do know that one of their DO students is currently a National Health Service Corps scholarship recipient, but maybe that's because their DO program has graduated multiple classes. I think since this will be their FIRST PA cohort, they may not qualify for federal loan/repayment support. Definitely something to consider!

I highly doubt it would. Why would you think that? Probably all of the rotations will be in Denver which are in driving distance of anywhere you live. You can live in Glendale for about 700 to 800 a month rent which is great for any major metropolitan area. I doubt your loans or scholarships depend on where you actually go. I’m currently applying to the military health professions scholarship and they will offer me the scholarship without an acceptance meaning that it doesn’t matter what school I attend. You might want to do a little more research before making blanket statements such as that one. If you are that skeptical you might want to think about giving up your spot so that someone else can take it instead. 

2 minutes ago, Almortega said:

I highly doubt it would. Why would you think that? Probably all of the rotations will be in Denver which are in driving distance of anywhere you live. You can live in Glendale for about 700 to 800 a month rent which is great for any major metropolitan area. I doubt your loans or scholarships depend on where you actually go. I’m currently applying to the military health professions scholarship and they will offer me the scholarship without an acceptance meaning that it doesn’t matter what school I attend. You might want to do a little more research before making blanket statements such as that one. If you are that skeptical you might want to think about giving up your spot so that someone else can take it instead. 

Any for-profit school in its first cohort doesn't qualify for federal loan support. That's not a blanket statement, that's a fact. My question is whether or not their first PA cohort will qualify, even if the associated DO program does, get it?

5 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Also please note medical school is different from PA school and there will be differences. I don’t think it is wise to compare their DO program to their PA program. 

Just now, Almortega said:

Also please note medical school is different from PA school and there will be differences. I don’t think it is wise to compare their DO program to their PA program. 

Why not? Same facilities, same faculty, HOPEFULLY similar rotations....I think it's perfectly valid to make comparisons. You're assuming I'm talking down RVU, when all I'm simply wondering is if I'll be able to attend based upon the availability of federal loan support. Keep in mind it's a for-profit school.

14 minutes ago, Rudeboyirie said:

Any for-profit school in its first cohort doesn't qualify for federal loan support. That's not a blanket statement, that's a fact. My question is whether or not their first PA cohort will qualify, even if the associated DO program does, get it?

Where are your facts coming from I’m curious to know. 

12 minutes ago, Rudeboyirie said:

Why not? Same facilities, same faculty, HOPEFULLY similar rotations....I think it's perfectly valid to make comparisons. You're assuming I'm talking down RVU, when all I'm simply wondering is if I'll be able to attend based upon the availability of federal loan support. Keep in mind it's a for-profit school.

Is it the same faculty? Where can I find this information? Most PA programs have different faculty from their medical schools. 

7 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Where are your facts coming from I’m curious to know. 

Well, since this is the RVU thread, I should be noted that RVU wasn't qualified for federal loan support for their first cohort of DO students back in '06. It's because their program at the time was under "provisional" status, which RVU's PA program is seeking to achieve. That, in addition to their for-profit status, is why I'm curious about how I may be able to potentially fund my education.

4 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Is it the same faculty? Where can I find this information? Most PA programs have different faculty from their medical schools. 

Same faculty I'm not 100% sure, but they posted faculty openings on their site and none were designated as "PA program" faculty, however this may change upon them being granted provisional accreditation. But many med schools with associated PA programs have faculty overlap, as many of your science courses during the didactic year are with med students.  

6 minutes ago, Rudeboyirie said:

Well, since this is the RVU thread, I should be noted that RVU wasn't qualified for federal loan support for their first cohort of DO students back in '06. It's because their program at the time was under "provisional" status, which RVU's PA program is seeking to achieve. That, in addition to their for-profit status, is why I'm curious about how I may be able to potentially fund my education.

Same faculty I'm not 100% sure, but they posted faculty openings on their site and none were designated as "PA program" faculty, however this may change upon them being granted provisional accreditation. But many med schools with associated PA programs have faculty overlap, as many of your science courses during the didactic year are with med students.  

Depends on the school GW actually does not have any overlap between the two programs. Also all PA schools are accredited under ARC PA which is different than how medical schools are accredited. Again I’m just saying it’s not a good strategy to compare a Med school to a pa school. 

6 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Depends on the school GW actually does not have any overlap between the two programs. Also all PA schools are accredited under ARC PA which is different than how medical schools are accredited. Again I’m just saying it’s not a good strategy to compare a Med school to a pa school. 

Valid point, which again, is why I initially asked the question regarding this developing program's federal loan support, because I don't know. Good luck

34 minutes ago, Rudeboyirie said:

Valid point, which again, is why I initially asked the question regarding this developing program's federal loan support, because I don't know. Good luck

I think it’s just hard for any of us to know. It’s  something you should ask at the interview and I’m sure they will be really honest with you. You can also call the federal loan customer service number and they might give you a better understanding of their policies. 

15 hours ago, Rudeboyirie said:

I think it's great that you did research and in fact you are right that the rotations will be all over and not just in Colorado. Some rotations will be in Arizona, New Mexico, and a few other places, and I am not sure how the federal loan support will factor into this. That is a great question that nobody during our interview asked. Good Luck!

3 minutes ago, Bosanka27 said:

I think it's great that you did research and in fact you are right that the rotations will be all over and not just in Colorado. Some rotations will be in Arizona, New Mexico, and a few other places, and I am not sure how the federal loan support will factor into this. That is a great question that nobody during our interview asked. Good Luck!

Is the clinical period really five semesters long like it says on website? 

6 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Is the clinical period really five semesters long like it says on website? 

Everything that is currently listed in regards to the curriculum on their website is up-to-date, but not sure if changes will be made later. Your interview is soon coming up, and you will sit down with the group and the program director to ask any questions. She is truly phenomenal and willing to answer any questions/concerns you may have. :)