Currently I am getting paid a salary  but if I reach a certain level of production ( I have to see about 280-300 pts a month in my FP clinic to reach that) I get paid 25% of my collections.  This is not in addition to my salary so its not like a bonus or anything.   My question is about production pay.  I am wondering if any PA's out there are on straight production.  This is the model that they are wanting to start.  Again the number that they are going to give us is 25% of collections which seeing about 300 pt/month comes out to like 9300 (pretax, benefits, etc.)  I feel that the percentage should be 30-40% from what I have heard and read about but again I am not sure.  I have been working as a PA for 3 years and don't know a lot about "production pay" only. Is 25% good, ok or just crap? Any insight would help as I am going to be talking to my company in about a week to discuss this.

I was on production at my last position in outpatient Psychiatry. I was getting 58% of collections as a W-2 employee. I paid my own malpractice and there were no benefits (other than the practice paying taxes). I was seeing a mix of new patients and follow-ups. Mostly 99213 and 99214. Some 99203 and 99204. I was seeing 100+ patients per week.

The practice I am currently working at has me on salary for 6 months then per patient. This agreement is really interesting...  I posted the details earlier in another string.

As far as 25%.. It is CRAP... You have to consider several things WRT production. When you take time off = No pay, holiday = No pay, Practice closed due to weather = No pay. Training days/CME = No pay, Sick time = No pay. The other question is how good is the collections department? What % do they collect? Also, there is a lag from the time you see the patient and the time they collect...

Will you be W-2 or 10-99? There is a 7% difference in tax benefit. Just my thoughts....

I hope that helps...

• Upvote 1

Hey thanks so much for the quick response.Yah I hate that they are going to production and I feel that 25% is crap too! The collections department is pretty good I think but they pay us off of an estimated percent of collections.  I am in a Family Med Practice and the % is usually around 73%, which I think is weird that they base it off a estimated percent but I guess that is how some clinics do it. I will be W-2.  They do pay $1000 month for health insurance.  I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them. They also give me $2500 a year for CME.  I live in Utah and I know each state is different. What state do you work in?   I am just frustrated with this whole situation and they are pretty adamant about not changing that percent...25% is clinic wide for all PAs/NPs...its a big multi-specialty clinic.  I have pushed them to raise the % and we actually had a NP leave because they wouldn't budge on the percentage.  I am meeting with them next week to discuss this so your reply does help. Please let me know anything else that may help, thanks!

On 8/21/2017 at 3:02 PM, B2B714 said:

Currently I am getting paid a salary  but if I reach a certain level of production ( I have to see about 280-300 pts a month in my FP clinic to reach that) I get paid 25% of my collections.  This is not in addition to my salary so its not like a bonus or anything.   My question is about production pay.  I am wondering if any PA's out there are on straight production.  This is the model that they are wanting to start.  Again the number that they are going to give us is 25% of collections which seeing about 300 pt/month comes out to like 9300 (pretax, benefits, etc.)  I feel that the percentage should be 30-40% from what I have heard and read about but again I am not sure.  I have been working as a PA for 3 years and don't know a lot about "production pay" only. Is 25% good, ok or just crap? Any insight would help as I am going to be talking to my company in about a week to discuss this.

I am confused on your wording. You say you get a salary, but if you reach a certain level of production then you get 25% of collections. But you go on to say this is not in addition to your salary....? So are they wanting you to go to straight production? So if you see 300 pts per month (~15 per day, 5 day work week x 4 weeks = 20 days so 300 pts/20 = 15 pts/day) then you will get 25% of that money? If your estimate of 9300 pretax is accurate then ($9300 x 0.28 (tax %) = $2604, so $9300 - $2604 = $6696), I do not think that much money is bad for 15 patients per day...you could be done by 1-2 pm with that amount of patients. Even if you pay $400/month of insurance that still great month. What other benefits do you have to pay? "I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them."

On 8/22/2017 at 0:25 AM, B2B714 said:

Hey thanks so much for the quick response.Yah I hate that they are going to production and I feel that 25% is crap too! The collections department is pretty good I think but they pay us off of an estimated percent of collections.  I am in a Family Med Practice and the % is usually around 73%, which I think is weird that they base it off a estimated percent but I guess that is how some clinics do it. I will be W-2.  They do pay $1000 month for health insurance.  I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them. They also give me $2500 a year for CME.  I live in Utah and I know each state is different. What state do you work in?   I am just frustrated with this whole situation and they are pretty adamant about not changing that percent...25% is clinic wide for all PAs/NPs...its a big multi-specialty clinic.  I have pushed them to raise the % and we actually had a NP leave because they wouldn't budge on the percentage.  I am meeting with them next week to discuss this so your reply does help. Please let me know anything else that may help, thanks!

Just curious.. Look at 3 or 4 months and ask them to calculate what it would have been with that 25% structure.

I suspect it is going to be lower but, maybe the numbers will surprise you...

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jbs
      Hi All,
      Does anyone have any experience with being compensated with RVU alone?  Our physician staffing firm is contemplating straight RVU compensation.
      We have been hourly since the beginning, but recently there has been a lot of talk about going to RVU w/o a base salary just like our supervising ED Docs.
      Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
      JBS
    • By Sunkist77
      Any derm PA's out there who work at Kaiser, Sutter, CA Skin Institute, Berman, or other larger corporations? I'm working in private practice now and have a lot of flexibility with my schedule which is nice, but not the kind of benefits and salary I think I could potentially have at the other. Could you share your experience as far as schedule, salary and/or benefits? And, if you've worked both private and/or corporate, which do you prefer and why? Thank you!
    • By KMKPA
      Hey all, 
      I have been a PA for 9 years now (1yr cardiac sx, 4yrs EM, 4yrs ortho hand) and just took a new position about one year ago in a new specialty.  I went from Hand surgery/upper extremity ortho to ENT.  I have a good salary and when I started, the bonus structure was TBD as I am their first APP.  My position is unique as they wanted a PA to help offload consults and hospital rounds in the afternoon so the on call physician doesn't get stuck doing everything after their day. I typically see patients in the morning and occasionally in the afternoon (only until about 230pm to allow for time to go to the various hospitals depending on what has come in for the day).  Sometimes I am super busy in the afternoon and cannot get to everything (but I leave around 5pm, although, some weeks my days are longer, regardless) and other times there isn't much to do and I will help out one of the docs with their PM clinic or catch up on patient phone calls, notes, etc.  LSome weeks I am bored in the afternoon but they want me to be 'available.'  I help out in surgery, but rarely, despite 5yrs of OR experience.  I was completely new to ENT, so, to some extent, I had to be taught a lot this past year, however, on the other hand, I have lots of experience with abscess drainage, hospital familiarity, etc, so, a lot of things did not have to be taught.  
      I just had my annual review and I have received pretty much all positive remarks.  They are thrilled to have a PA and wonder why they didn't hire one sooner.  They are a pretty old school private practice, so, a lot of the physicians don't prefer me to first assist them in the OR (they help each other out), which would be another way for me to make $$ for the practice.  For this past year, they have given me a 5k bonus (I'm ok with that given my learning curve).  I currently make 105k for 4.5d a week, plus $1800 cellphone reimbursement, laptop, and 4 weeks vacation.  We discussed a bonus structure moving forward and I was asked what I thought was an appropriate bonus.  I said 5-10% annually.  I have my numbers, also, and in just 3 quarters, I have almost earned my salary and I am projected to pay for myself in charges with a full year of work, despite some afternoons not having much to do and having to train office staff that I am a provider and how to schedule me patients, etc.  The issue is, they want to provide a bonus quarterly based on 'how they think I'm doing."  There will be a low tier, middle tier, and high tier.  They said most of the time, the expectation is that I will probably get middle tier $$ and usually only reach the highest tier if I seem to have an exceptional quarter.  They also said putting in more face time with the physician partners in the office to 'help them out' in the afternoon when I'm not busy in a hospital can be a real boost.  Some of our docs love it when I help and other docs don't seem to really want a PA in their office flow...they are used to doing everything themselves and it is awkward.
      The issue is, I am not entirely comfortable with the idea of my bonus being based solely on subjective opinions of the partners.  Some seasons are busier than others with the number of consults that come in and while I try to see everything that we get, sometimes I physically cannot make it to 4 different hospital facilities in an afternoon (for consults ranging from epistaxis management to abscess drainage to trach care). When I asked about a bonus based on productivity, however, they said they don't want to incentivize my office productivity because they care more about me being available to help out in the hospital to offset having to see consults after their main office day. I just have no control over the subjective opinions of the physicians and I also don't have control over what comes in from the hospitals.  They are open to ideas, but, I don't have any.
      Can anyone provide any sort of alternative bonus structure?  
      THANKS!
    • By QOD4U
      I have ~5 years of experience. This offer is from a big hospital with a well integrated PA practice, in a moderate cost-of-living area.

- Salary 125K.
      - 12 hour shifts with 1:3 weekends and 1:4 nights. Required to work 2 federal holidays per year. Shift differential amounts to ~5K per year by my calculation.
      - 403b with 2% match.
      - Pension (!) vested at 3 years of service.
      - Health insurance 80/20 until out of pocket max. Vision and dental through reimbursement account that is pretty generously funded, IMO. FSA and dependent care accounts available.
      - 22 days PTO, includes sick time.
      - 4K dedicated CME funds, plus 5 days CME time separate from PTO.

Unclear about malpractice coverage. 

I'm pretty pleased with the offer since it's a step up from my current salary and the benefits seem good but I would welcome outside perspectives. This is the first time I've ever come across someplace still offering a pension, so I don't know how to look at that. The way the nights and weekends are structured seems like a lot of work but I don't know if it's worth arguing about with the salary being what it is. I was also told that a lot of the PAs in the group prefer weekends and nights and are often wanting to trade for them (no guarantees, of course).

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More