Currently I am getting paid a salary  but if I reach a certain level of production ( I have to see about 280-300 pts a month in my FP clinic to reach that) I get paid 25% of my collections.  This is not in addition to my salary so its not like a bonus or anything.   My question is about production pay.  I am wondering if any PA's out there are on straight production.  This is the model that they are wanting to start.  Again the number that they are going to give us is 25% of collections which seeing about 300 pt/month comes out to like 9300 (pretax, benefits, etc.)  I feel that the percentage should be 30-40% from what I have heard and read about but again I am not sure.  I have been working as a PA for 3 years and don't know a lot about "production pay" only. Is 25% good, ok or just crap? Any insight would help as I am going to be talking to my company in about a week to discuss this.

I was on production at my last position in outpatient Psychiatry. I was getting 58% of collections as a W-2 employee. I paid my own malpractice and there were no benefits (other than the practice paying taxes). I was seeing a mix of new patients and follow-ups. Mostly 99213 and 99214. Some 99203 and 99204. I was seeing 100+ patients per week.

The practice I am currently working at has me on salary for 6 months then per patient. This agreement is really interesting...  I posted the details earlier in another string.

As far as 25%.. It is CRAP... You have to consider several things WRT production. When you take time off = No pay, holiday = No pay, Practice closed due to weather = No pay. Training days/CME = No pay, Sick time = No pay. The other question is how good is the collections department? What % do they collect? Also, there is a lag from the time you see the patient and the time they collect...

Will you be W-2 or 10-99? There is a 7% difference in tax benefit. Just my thoughts....

I hope that helps...

Hey thanks so much for the quick response.Yah I hate that they are going to production and I feel that 25% is crap too! The collections department is pretty good I think but they pay us off of an estimated percent of collections.  I am in a Family Med Practice and the % is usually around 73%, which I think is weird that they base it off a estimated percent but I guess that is how some clinics do it. I will be W-2.  They do pay $1000 month for health insurance.  I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them. They also give me $2500 a year for CME.  I live in Utah and I know each state is different. What state do you work in?   I am just frustrated with this whole situation and they are pretty adamant about not changing that percent...25% is clinic wide for all PAs/NPs...its a big multi-specialty clinic.  I have pushed them to raise the % and we actually had a NP leave because they wouldn't budge on the percentage.  I am meeting with them next week to discuss this so your reply does help. Please let me know anything else that may help, thanks!

On 8/21/2017 at 3:02 PM, B2B714 said:

Currently I am getting paid a salary  but if I reach a certain level of production ( I have to see about 280-300 pts a month in my FP clinic to reach that) I get paid 25% of my collections.  This is not in addition to my salary so its not like a bonus or anything.   My question is about production pay.  I am wondering if any PA's out there are on straight production.  This is the model that they are wanting to start.  Again the number that they are going to give us is 25% of collections which seeing about 300 pt/month comes out to like 9300 (pretax, benefits, etc.)  I feel that the percentage should be 30-40% from what I have heard and read about but again I am not sure.  I have been working as a PA for 3 years and don't know a lot about "production pay" only. Is 25% good, ok or just crap? Any insight would help as I am going to be talking to my company in about a week to discuss this.

I am confused on your wording. You say you get a salary, but if you reach a certain level of production then you get 25% of collections. But you go on to say this is not in addition to your salary....? So are they wanting you to go to straight production? So if you see 300 pts per month (~15 per day, 5 day work week x 4 weeks = 20 days so 300 pts/20 = 15 pts/day) then you will get 25% of that money? If your estimate of 9300 pretax is accurate then ($9300 x 0.28 (tax %) = $2604, so $9300 - $2604 = $6696), I do not think that much money is bad for 15 patients per day...you could be done by 1-2 pm with that amount of patients. Even if you pay $400/month of insurance that still great month. What other benefits do you have to pay? "I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them."

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 0:25 AM, B2B714 said:

Hey thanks so much for the quick response.Yah I hate that they are going to production and I feel that 25% is crap too! The collections department is pretty good I think but they pay us off of an estimated percent of collections.  I am in a Family Med Practice and the % is usually around 73%, which I think is weird that they base it off a estimated percent but I guess that is how some clinics do it. I will be W-2.  They do pay $1000 month for health insurance.  I am still paying about $400 a month for health insurance though and have to pay for all other benefits I get from them. They also give me $2500 a year for CME.  I live in Utah and I know each state is different. What state do you work in?   I am just frustrated with this whole situation and they are pretty adamant about not changing that percent...25% is clinic wide for all PAs/NPs...its a big multi-specialty clinic.  I have pushed them to raise the % and we actually had a NP leave because they wouldn't budge on the percentage.  I am meeting with them next week to discuss this so your reply does help. Please let me know anything else that may help, thanks!

Just curious.. Look at 3 or 4 months and ask them to calculate what it would have been with that 25% structure.

I suspect it is going to be lower but, maybe the numbers will surprise you...

Archived