Non-traditional student seeking PA

Hello all! Great forum with tons of info. I'm in a different boat, compared to others, in that I'm a licensed PTA with 5 years exp and married with 3 kids. I graduated back in 2012 with my AAS in Physical therapist assistant with a 3.93 GPA and enrolled at a University shortly after. I currently hold a 4.0 GPA after taking College Algebra, Gen Bio 1&2, College Physics 1&2, Gen Chem 1&2, and Stats 1. I'm scheduled to start an online BS program in Health Science this fall which accepts all of my PTA core courses (other colleges do not) with about 45 credits to take. I know I have to shadow PAs, take orgo chem and bio chem (for most programs), have a good PS, and good GRE score, my questions are:

do schools frown upon completing major science pre reqs one at a time?

do they take into consideration working (direct patient contact) hours as a reason for only being able to take 1 science class per semester?

what else would I need on my resume to make me a strong candidate?

thanks and look forward to all the insight that is offered!

Here is my two cents:

- Not that I've seen. Be careful that all are completed within whatever window your prospective program has. Where I went, for example, there was a window as to how recent your science prereqs had to be. Also make sure you know what the prereqs are for each school you are considering. They aren't all the same.

do they take into consideration working (direct patient contact) hours as a reason for only being able to take 1 science class per semester?

- People have to eat. Working and going to school is quite common.

- If you can swing it, some good volunteer activities and good references.

thanks and look forward to all the insight that is offered!

-Good luck!

No, I took one or two at a time. So don't worry about that.

Honestly, by the time you apply, what they will be looking at is your GPA, that you have a Bachelors degree, your essay, and your experience

Look at the schools you like and see yourself going to to make sure you meet all their requirements. Some schools have some unique things they want from their applicants. Make up a plan on meeting all those prereqs now so you know how you get from now to then.

I want to say good for you. Like the others mentioned, you dont have to worry about one or two classes at a time. It took me about 11 years to get me bachelors because i HAD to work full time my entire academic career because i had no other financial help. Now i will be starting a program next month at a school i wanted to go to. I applied to four schools and got accepted to two of them. My GPA isnt great but i have so much life experience, it was all over my application. Seems like you may have the same situation and adcoms like to see diversity and perseverance in their candidates. You have a leg up there in my opinion. 

But, i would have to say becareful of doing prerequisites online. I have heard many horror stories about students having to taking courses pver again because schools do not take online courses. If you have to get an online degree, please check with ALL the schools you think you will apply to. You have to know that you are not wasting your time. Good luck on everything. Also lots of schools have a time limit for prerequisites classes. For example, if you took bio more than 5 years ago, you have to retake it. Those are the only things that come up for me. See you out in the medical field.

I want to say good for you. Like the others mentioned, you dont have to worry about one or two classes at a time. It took me about 11 years to get me bachelors because i HAD to work full time my entire academic career because i had no other financial help. Now i will be starting a program next month at a school i wanted to go to. I applied to four schools and got accepted to two of them. My GPA isnt great but i have so much life experience, it was all over my application. Seems like you may have the same situation and adcoms like to see diversity and perseverance in their candidates. You have a leg up there in my opinion. 
But, i would have to say becareful of doing prerequisites online. I have heard many horror stories about students having to taking courses pver again because schools do not take online courses. If you have to get an online degree, please check with ALL the schools you think you will apply to. You have to know that you are not wasting your time. Good luck on everything. Also lots of schools have a time limit for prerequisites classes. For example, if you took bio more than 5 years ago, you have to retake it. Those are the only things that come up for me. See you out in the medical field.

The online course and time limit points are huge. Keep them in mind when looking at potential programs and making up a plan to reach your goal

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! The online bachelors is just liberal arts courses, it's basically an upside down 2+2 program. I was originally going for DPT after receiving my PTA degree and asked the dean of admission at Rutgers if the degree was valid/recognized and she said absolutely. The online school is Northern Arizona University and is regionally accredited. I've also heard horror stories about online science pre reqs so I took them locally at William Paterson University to play it safe.

Archived