Cardiologist constantly mentioning that " you have to compete with younger PA's

Hello,

Currently into my last round of my cardiology rotation. As I mentioned in my earlier post , although the cardiologist does lot of interventional procedures ( angiogram, pacemakers, angioplasty ) Almost 80% time I am observing. To keep my attitude positive & to learn in detail I ask lot of questions which he explains and encourages me to read. He is looking for a PA ( his staff reported me that) His staff keep on encouraging me to apply there as they like me ,but when ever I have a conversation with him to know what type of qualities he is looking for in  a PA? always the discussion ends with he mentioning, " you have to compete with younger PA's " I do have a good relationship with him and he definitely takes interest and shows and explains to me in detail all the procedures he is doing, but his above statement is confusing me. I am not looking for a job there cause I shadow most of the times and I don't like the fact that he introduces to his patients most of the time as " my student" but some times as " assistant". Definitely don't feel like I am part of a team but some thing less than him.

I am in my mid 40's with lot of clinical experience  before I entered PA school. I did well in didactic year and have been getting very good evaluations from all my previous clinical rotations. I got good evaluation ( above average )from him for my midterm. I enjoy what I do and passionate about my future profession. I feel I have  lot to offer . But I don't understand his constant remarks that " I have to compete with younger PA's " Does that mean I am too old to pursue cardiology?  What are my options of getting into intervention cardiology? His words are very discouraging to me . Any feed back is highly appreciated. Just wanted to do some reality check. Thank you.

I wouldn't sweat it right now. Focus on finishing Rotations and graduating. You'll find a job later. I don't think age matters. It might in some areas but in my area age doesn't seem to be an issue. I have a classmate who was in her 50's and found many jobs in her specialty.

Right now, your job is finishing Rotations and PA school then the PANCE. Lots of things ahead of you still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Run, run far and run fast!  I also strongly recommend giving honest feedback to your clinical coordinator about the experience.  Not the constant remarks about your age necessarily but the fact that you are introduced as an assistant and get little hands on useful training/teaching.  This doesn't sound like a good learning environment and maybe this should be eliminated as a rotation site. 

I was hired as a PA in cardiology as a new grad at 60, and it was an advantage I felt; easier to form relationships with patients.

Your cardio rotation will of necessity involve observation in the beginning but should progress to seeing and examining patients (and their EKG/telemetry) and then presenting the case and your recoomendations to your preceptor.

Some docs worry that older "new" PAs either will expect too much salary or will retire in just a few years. You need the right relationship and it doesn't sound like your preceptor is the right one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I'm entering my PA program come January and so excited, so I can't comment  This from a PA prospective, but rather a perspective from that I work in the OR right now as a surgical first assistant/tech. I wouldn't let his words discourage you. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered a physician who has spoken cruelly of the profession when the first found out I was pursuing PA and not MD , my current profession, etc. the more I have to work side by side some of the docs, the more I see this is not me, this is not my fault for the way he talks, or his opinions. It's taught me to have pretty thick skin. So take what he says for a grain of salt, if I were in your shoes, I would apply elsewhere and heck, if you love cardiology, do what you wanna do. Dont let someone with a fat ego, who probably likes to hit on the younger staff(trust me that stuff happens behind closed doors, I see it all the time) ruin your dreams. Hope things get better :))

joelseff, EMPEDA, MCHAD  UGo long , akrenner0991, thank you much for  taking time and responding . I have only 4 more days in this rotation .  Have evaluated in detail about this clerkship to my school .Yes as Ugolong mentioned it is to do with old experienced new graduate has to be payed higher and I have kids so definitely cant work straight 12 hrs a day which he sometimes does. I think it's a matter of finding the right match where your skill set experience & maturity are valued. Thank you again for your support & feed back . Nothing should stop any one from chasing thier dreams and incidents like these just makes one more determined to pursue them. And above all " age is just a number" 

Sincerely,

Empowered

Archived