Derm Job Offer - please advise

Hope this post finds everyone well. I am currently negotiating compensation for a part-time derm position. *I have 5 years experience as a pediatric PA and had to take a short leave of absence, and am finally able to try to get into derm which has always been my goal. This potential employer would train me for 4-6 weeks unpaid and then start to book me patients. *The SP does not want to pay an hourly wage and only want to pay me 25% of collections for what i bring into the practice. *They will not cover malpractice the first year and it will be revisited in one year. We are in the early stages of negotiations and I need your help.

Does anyone here only get paid a percentage of collections and if so what is the norm? I am unsettled with this because I am not sure how busy this practice is (only one physician) and its not clear how much work she has available. I am really unsure of the earning potential. *I would start with follow up patients, general derm until I was more comfortable. *The physician is very nice, willing to train (unpaid), And the physician wants to cut her own hours. It is a way for me to get in the derm door. What are your thoughts??? Thanks, Tee

I'm not too familiar with derm or what the average outpatient PA bills in a year. However I have read other posts that a good PA can bill around 300k outpatiently. You might want to talk with other PAs in the specialty for exact numbers. Let's ballpark it and say 300k, 75K being yours (25%). You also have to pay your own malpractice and work for free for 6 weeks. All this is based on IF you bill this much. It doesn't sound like you will have a very full load of patients to really crank out some revenue... I would stay away from a contract like this unless percentage was higher and guaranteed minimum. It does not sound like that big of a practice and you will probably be seeing very few new patients for a while. You will most likely get low level follow ups for procedures which aren't billed very high. Don't be taken advantage of. She has a vested interest in hiring you. She wants to cut her own hours so she wants this to go through.

I agree with Jason09. The doctor sounds like she's trying to take advantage of your wanting to be in Derm. She wants all the benefits of having a PA without having to pay for it!

Unpaid training is not acceptable, especially not for 6 weeks. Also, you should have malpractice included, especially if you do not have a salary. I would ask for malpractice included and an hourly rate for training and your first year. Then maybe discuss productivity bonus or pay after 6-12 months.

If I was you, I would definitely discuss this with other PAs in Derm. I'm guessing they will be completely offended by this offer.

Good Luck!

Archived