Interview Attire

Hello!

I have been invited for my first interview, and I am 6 months pregnant (7 months by the time of the interview). I have recently purchased a pair of dress pants and a modest sweater to wear along with a nice pair of dress shoes. Is this too casual? Finding a pant suit or something similar is near impossible in maternity. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, congrats on your interview! I disagree with the above post completely. Business attire is definitely a must for admissions interviews, but I do not think for females that means a dress or pantyhose (seriously what decade are we in?). Any pregnant woman wearing the clothing in the above stock photo would have swollen feet and an aching back by the end of the day.

Wear something you are comfortable and confident in! It is hard to know how casual the sweater top is without seeing a picture. Adding a blazer is your best option to dress up any maternity look. Good luck!

15 hours ago, ChristineQLe said:

PA School interviews are business professional.  a dress with a black blazer, skin or black pantyhose and flats or a one to two inch wedge black heel is most appropriate. Photo attached. 

Yea, no.  90% of the females (if not more) in all of my interviews wore pants.  A few may have done a skirt/suit combo and a rare dress was found.

I did wear suits but that's not to say it's required.  In theory if OP could make a blazer or something work with her pants that might be better but I certainly don't think anyone is going to NOT admit you for wearing a sweater.  Personally I found pants much easier because I was never spending any time worrying that my legs were appropriately crossed/closed so I wasn't flashing interviewers while sitting across from them.

As long as your shoes are appropriate for the outfit (heels, flats, wedges, whatever) it doesn't matter.  Make sure they are business professional (I'd go closed toed every time).  Again, unless you walk in in flip flops or 6 in platform sparkly shoes, no one is going to pay any mind to your footwear.

An alternative to a sweater might be a dress shirt with a cardigan and appear a little more polished.  It could give the feel of a blazer/suit look without actually doing it if it just isn't physically an option for you.

Archived