Repealing regarding interview rejection?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering if this was possible. 

With all respect, I was waitlisted from this one school until May 2017. I was eventually rejected and I applied right away this year July 2017. 

The reason why I didn't get interview this year was because my application changed little from last year. 

But what I'm concerned is that the program liked me enough to be waitlisted and what do they expect within the span of 2 months?

I really want to email the school and see if I can repeal the decision. 

What do you guys think?

I don't believe you can actually appeal a turn-down.

I can think of two reasons your might have been turned down this year after being wait-listed last year:

1. The school's applicant pool might have been better/larger this year and there were lots of people who looked more qualified than you.

2. You applied last year and then this year with essentially the same package: no evidence that you did anything in the intervening year to become a better candidate (i.e., more HCE, some additional classes, etc).

Sorry. Better luck in the future.

30 minutes ago, wktk222 said:

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was wondering if this was possible. 

With all respect, I was waitlisted from this one school until May 2017. I was eventually rejected and I applied right away this year July 2017. 

The reason why I didn't get interview this year was because my application changed little from last year. 

But what I'm concerned is that the program liked me enough to be waitlisted and what do they expect within the span of 2 months?

I really want to email the school and see if I can repeal the decision. 

What do you guys think?

I can feel your situation. Repealing won't get you anywhere, rather your choice of re-applying was good. Just point out your reason(s) why you came back after rejection. If your GRE and GPA are above average, I believe more HCE hours, strong and better LORs would help propel you ahead of other candidates. All the best.

• Administrator

Moral of the story: Don't wait until all your interviews are over to start improving for possible consideration next year.  Rather, continue building your PA portfolio all throughout your year, so that no matter what you will have a better application should you not get in.

17 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Moral of the story: Don't wait until all your interviews are over to start improving for possible consideration next year.  Rather, continue building your PA portfolio all throughout your year, so that no matter what you will have a better application should you not get in.

I have accepted the situation already and it is fine.

But just to clarify, that is exactly what I did.

Applied June 2016 -> interview February 2017 -> waitlisted -> denied May 2017.

I was working throughout 2016 and 2017, took classes for Fall 2016, Winter 2016/2017, and even Spring 2017 that ended in June when I reapplied.

It's just that I couldn't have possibly done more than taking additional 4 classes after the interview. But in their eyes, my application was the same. 

It is fine though. The process is competitive and there are many more outstanding competitive applicants than I. They might not like reapplicants, or they have realized that I "may" not be a good fit for their program. 

I have thought about this repealing process but realized how ridiculous it might be. I just have to accept it and move on. 

Thank you everyone for the advice though!

22 minutes ago, wktk222 said:

I have accepted the situation already and it is fine.

But just to clarify, that is exactly what I did.

Applied June 2016 -> interview February 2017 -> waitlisted -> denied May 2017.

I was working throughout 2016 and 2017, took classes for Fall 2016, Winter 2016/2017, and even Spring 2017 that ended in June when I reapplied.

It's just that I couldn't have possibly done more than taking additional 4 classes after the interview. But in their eyes, my application was the same. 

It is fine though. The process is competitive and there are many more outstanding competitive applicants than I. They might not like reapplicants, or they have realized that I "may" not be a good fit for their program. 

I have thought about this repealing process but realized how ridiculous it might be. I just have to accept it and move on. 

Thank you everyone for the advice though!

Shadowing, volunteering, diversifying HCE. Plenty of additional things that could have been done to strengthen an app (not just yours, anyones).  Honestly these things might be more valuable than classes especially if your GPA doesn't need work.

They expect that applicants will keep working.  Accumulating more work hours (I'm assuming these were HCE/PCE applicable) is an expectation, not an indication that you are going above and beyond to get in and show them you're trying.  

This may or may not apply to you, but new personal statement, new LORs, etc could have been helpful also.

2 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Shadowing, volunteering, diversifying HCE. Plenty of additional things that could have been done to strengthen an app (not just yours, anyones).  Honestly these things might be more valuable than classes especially if your GPA doesn't need work.

They expect that applicants will keep working.  Accumulating more work hours (I'm assuming these were HCE/PCE applicable) is an expectation, not an indication that you are going above and beyond to get in and show them you're trying.  

This may or may not apply to you, but new personal statement, new LORs, etc could have been helpful also.

Yes, I accumulated more PCE hours, had additional PA shadowing hours, took 5 additional science both lower and upper division classes, new personal statement, and had new LORs. 

Let's just say that the school doesn't like reapplicants. :)

Because that is what I heard. 

Thank you everyone!

• Administrator
5 hours ago, wktk222 said:

Let's just say that the school doesn't like reapplicants. :)

Sure seems that way!  Your later clarification seriously modified your first statements--it sounds like you did things right, or right enough that I would have expected a repeat interview.  I know I got re-interviewed at the one school I'd been waitlisted at my first year and applied to my second year with about that same sort and level of improvement.

Archived