Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

I just graduated in July and passed my boards in July.

I am really confused about the license process, I handed in the forums to the NCCPA but some of my classmates are talking about DEA and NPI number? 

What are the steps after passing boards for licensure, I sent my pass to NYS but not sure what other steps i need to be taking before starting a job.

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, congrats on Passing!

NPI number you can get pretty much as soon as you find out where you will be working because you will need a business address (make sure not to put your home address because that information is available with just a quick google of your name). 

You can get your DEA license only after you have received your license from the state your practicing in. If you don't wait the DEA will pretty much take your money and you won't get anything. You will also need a work address for this so it is easier to wait for those licenses until you have a job set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the answer will, to some degree, be state specific. If you graduated and passed boards you are ready to apply for a license in your state. That process will be dictated by your state board. Some require some extras like a medical jurisprudence course/test but, again, that varies.

You do not have to have an NPI or a DEA to be licensed and work but you will need an NPI to bill and probably to apply for credentialing for reimbursement with all the insurance companies. You never really have to have a DEA but if you want to prescribe scheduled drugs you will want to apply for one. That has been discussed in some recent threads here you can find by searching and noodling around on the forum.

Once you are employed get ready for the credentialing train. Employers will credential you (unless you work for some place small and private). Every different insurance company will require you to credential but, hopefully, your employer will handle that and you will just need to sign some forms they will fill out for you.

It seems daunting but you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, husky1528 said:

First of all, congrats on Passing!

NPI number you can get pretty much as soon as you find out where you will be working because you will need a business address (make sure not to put your home address because that information is available with just a quick google of your name). 

You can get your DEA license only after you have received your license from the state your practicing in. If you don't wait the DEA will pretty much take your money and you won't get anything. You will also need a work address for this so it is easier to wait for those licenses until you have a job set up. 

got it thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated, differs in each state.  I can't help but point out that your PA program should have gone over every detail about getting licensed in the state of your program.  My program had someone from our state chapter come in several months before we graduated and walked us through the process.  Because of this I was able to learn that I can submit application items one by one as I obtained them vs waiting for everything to be in hand before submitting.  My state required a copy of my NCCPA certificate which came a couple weeks after I passed the PANCE.  Stupid because having an NCCPA paper certificate doesn't mean one is currently certified, but this is what they wanted.  Had I waited to submit my complete application it would had delayed me a couple months.  Certainly, be sure to check with your state to see if they allow this or not.  NPI/DEA wait until after licensure to apply for them and as stated it is easiest if you have a practice address to use on the applications.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would handy to be licensed in the states you are applying, I always figured future employers would like not having to wait 3 months plus to get licensing.  Also, compile all of the info into one place, such as each state license numbers, your diploma, an unofficial copy of your transcript, an official copy of your transcript, copies of your bls and acls crest, your nccpa cert.  some credentialing places want those, and it's handy to send them right out rather than having to hunt for them.  Some states may need them too.  I keep hard copies in a binder, and pdfs on my computer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

the answer will, to some degree, be state specific. If you graduated and passed boards you are ready to apply for a license in your state. That process will be dictated by your state board. Some require some extras like a medical jurisprudence course/test but, again, that varies.

You do not have to have an NPI or a DEA to be licensed and work but you will need an NPI to bill and probably to apply for credentialing for reimbursement with all the insurance companies. You never really have to have a DEA but if you want to prescribe scheduled drugs you will want to apply for one. That has been discussed in some recent threads here you can find by searching and noodling around on the forum.

Once you are employed get ready for the credentialing train. Employers will credential you (unless you work for some place small and private). Every different insurance company will require you to credential but, hopefully, your employer will handle that and you will just need to sign some forms they will fill out for you.

It seems daunting but you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Some state pharmacy boards require DEA registration before they will give you a prescribers license, Nevada being one of them. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Interesting. So a prescriber's license is something separate from your state license? Learn something new every day.

Yes, in Nevada as well as Idaho I have had both a pharmacy license and medical license...and Nevada still has an MD and DO board so depending on what your supervising physician is you have to license with that board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Interesting. So a prescriber's license is something separate from your state license? Learn something new every day.

Ohio used to have two separate, but combined them recently. 

Hawaii requires a state license, an oral code, and a narcotics (NED) registration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By NeurosugeryPAC
      Hey Guys, my name is Benjamin. I work in Neurosurgery. I’m a PA-C. I received over 25 interviews when I was applying to schools. If you are getting interviews but not acceptances I would love to help. Check out www.physicianassistantschooladvice.org it lays out some good ideas to help get you that edge. 
      cheers,
      Benjamin
    • By PApreemie
      Hi!  I am currently in my fourth week of PA school and having some serious doubts as to what I am getting myself into.  
      I am worried for several of the following reasons:  that with the impact of covid 19 will take years to recover jobs (even healthcare), the amount of new PAs and NPs being pumped out of schools will cause more competition, and this study I read from the Bureau of Health Workforce...basically stating that the market will be saturated for PA's by 2025...
      Im worried, it'll be very hard to find work in southern Ca after school and I see some new PAs taking like, 8 months to a year to find a job.. I worry this will only get worse in the next few years when I graduate in 2022!!  I am not able to relocate out of state, nor can leave the metropolitan area around LA.
      I have a career to fall back on, if I decide to walk away from PA school making 60-70k. 
      I know no one can 100% say what will happen in the future.. but I am concerned to the point of walking away all-together.  Any input or advice would be appreciated. 
    • By Brown
      Hi Friends,
      I'm trying to develop a bit more privacy than is the default on the PA Board website. In CA, is there a way to put your work address as the one on file, or would you have to get a PO box should you desire to not have your home address listed on a license search?
      Thanks much!
    • By Texicana210
      [deleted]
    • By Perdikos
      Hello. As of today I have only applied to one PA school program (Rutgers) but unfortunately I got denied. I decided not to apply to any other schools this cycle as I have not started my senior year yet and am missing some of the prerequisite courses for many programs. I am currently working as a Medical Scribe and have been doing this for about one year now with about 750 hours. I also volunteered at a food pantry but only completed about 50 hours doing so. My science GPA is 3.32 and my cumulative GPA of 3.62.  I am planning to complete my senior year and continue working to build up more hours and reapply next cycle with a stronger application but I am worried that my experience as a scribe may not be enough. Do you think I should search for something else to do other than scribing to expand my resume?  I won’t have much time to do so during the school year as I will be busy with school work and working about twice a week so I might have to quit my current job if I do so. I am scribing a PA in family medicine and am scared to leave as I feel this is a very good experience and what I want to do in the future. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More