Thoughts on certain program pre-reqs

I've been looking at various programs and noticed that there are quite a few that don't require biochem, or even orgo 1 and orgo 2. I have not yet taken these classes, so I cannot speak on their behalf in medicine. I'm curious, however, as to how much of a disadvantage this puts one at, not only as a PA student, but in working as a PA. I'm weighing taking these or not; I feel like I should, because a lot of the schools that I have wanted to apply to require it, but as I said, I've noticed PLENTY that don't require them. Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, UGoLong said:

Organic isn't all that useful to me, but biochem is. Unfortunately you usually need some organic to take biochem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see the argument with that. After looking at some of the topics covered in biochem, already having a bio degree and having to take a lot of the classes that are covered in biochem makes me seem somewhat ok with not having to take it. Also, having to push applying off by another 1.5 years since they're all pre-reqs of one another makes it an even harder thing to want to do. I suppose, if anything, I can just use my gap year to prepare myself. I'll have plenty of time to do that. I appreciate your insight, as always however.

I've spoken with a few PAs that said they don't really use it in their day-to-day, and that they had classmates who didn't take those classes and did fine. My school is known for having a bad chem dept, and for only three classes, it's not worth the small boost in GPA if I get straight A's, when I could easily do what most have done and get C's because they're not taught well at our school, and watch my GPA drop. I'm fine with not taking them and just preparing myself in my time before PA school. That may sound like a lazy statement to some, but I'm watching out for myself in this situation. If we had a better department, and it wasn't going to take 3 more semesters, then I'd consider it more. But, since many programs don't require them, I'll just stick to those. 

Archived