Faith-Based Curriculum: Agnostics Need Not Apply?

Hello,

First post, so please be gentle. I'm looking into Campbell for one of my schools in the 2018-2019 application cycle and I was just curious about this aspect of their program. I was surprised to learn that three of the programs I was considering in NC (Campbell, Methodist, Gardner-Webb) advertised themselves as "Faith-based" or "fostering a Christian environment". For those that have been through it, how much did religion influence the education? I'm not religious. I'm not anti-religious, but I am wary of a religious medical education. Campbell (et. al.) came up on my radar due to proximity and Prerequisite course requirements. Should I be looking elsewhere because of a heavy religious influence (i.e.-  prayers before class, avoidance of the topic of evolution and genetics, etc) or am I reading way to much into a line in the school's Mission Statement? I am certainly not trying to start a fight or make enemies, just need some input to decide if these schools are not the right fit for me, or if I am overthinking this.

Thanks for any input!

I am actually curious about the same thing. I was considering applying to Campbell next year, but like the OP, wonder how much the faith-based mission is a factor in the program environment, curriculum, etc.  Any former or current students out there have any insight?  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am a current student at Campbell. The first day, there are definitely a few prayers from different faculty/university members. There are also s few ceremonies during the year where prayer is involved. Otherwise, we do not pray before class or anything like that.

Our genetics class was more geared towards different research being done currently and how it might impact treatments in the future.  Also, we ended the genetics class with ethical debates that could definitely have had some religious talk intertwined but did not. All classes are kept strictly science. 

Overall - I am not much of a religious person but if you can get past the few prayers on opening day and at ceremonies then you are good to go. Attending Campbell was by far the best decision I’ve ever made. I don’t exaggerate when I say your classmates here truly become your family!

• 11 months later...
On 10/12/2017 at 8:18 PM, steakPA said:

I am a current student at Campbell. The first day, there are definitely a few prayers from different faculty/university members. There are also s few ceremonies during the year where prayer is involved. Otherwise, we do not pray before class or anything like that.

Our genetics class was more geared towards different research being done currently and how it might impact treatments in the future.  Also, we ended the genetics class with ethical debates that could definitely have had some religious talk intertwined but did not. All classes are kept strictly science. 

Overall - I am not much of a religious person but if you can get past the few prayers on opening day and at ceremonies then you are good to go. Attending Campbell was by far the best decision I’ve ever made. I don’t exaggerate when I say your classmates here truly become your family!

Thank you for giving that inside look at what a "day in the life" looks like.

So it sounds like someone from another faith background, such as Judaism, would not be shunned at the institution?  I realize that would be highly unlikely / illegal - but just wondering how that would impact relationships with faculty and other students.  Forgive my northeast ignorance - the in laws live close to campbell so I am thinking of applying ahead of the upcoming deadline.  

Archived