New to Forum- Chances

Hi All, 

I was wondering what my chances were of getting into a PA school. My current stats are:

• California resident, graduate Cum Laude with Honors in the Major (Cellular and Molecular Biology)
  • 3.45 sGPA
  • 3.57 cGPA
  • Volunteer Hours
    • 60 hours as a Blood Donor Ambassador for the Red Cross (still current, hours will increase)
    • 80 hours as a Clinical Care Extender (still current, hours will increase)
    • 659 hours as a PT- Aide
    • 400 hours as a Research Associate in the Emergency Department (I did have patient contact)
  • Shadow
    • Started shadowing a Pediatric Orthopedic PA three weeks ago and will continue so more than 100 hours by April. I am also starting to shadow a Sports Medicine PA and a Plastic Surgery PA
  • GRE
    • Will take it in a couple of months

Thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: PT Aide hours from 359 to 659 (I forgot to include my 300 volunteer hours)

Really research your programs and see if you hit or can be slightly above their average class profile. That being said due everything in your power to make your pre-reqs A's for the programs. If possible try a medical missions trip to help make the app look well rounded, Lots of programs really like the medical missions trips. Make sure your PS is engaging, you want them to want to meet you. I agree otherwise with the above suggestions.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, californiahopefulpa said:

Thank you all. Please see the edited hours for the PT Aide. I missed 300 hours which totals 1139 for PCE. Is that still on the lower range?

Yes!  Most schools averages are in the 3000 and up range with some having minimums of 2000.

If applying this cycle I would apply to a few and see what happens and get the experience under your belt as far as CASPA and the process.  

There really isnt any formula for how many hours of volunteering, just try to accrue as much PCE until you press the submit button.  

Thankfully I have a full time position as PT Aide, worked overtime every week.  My clinic never complained so I earned extra money and accrued more PCE hours at the same time, thankful for that.

Archived