Derm Job Offer - please advise!

Hope this post finds everyone well. I am currently negotiating compensation for a part-time derm position. I have 5 years experience as a pediatric PA and had to take a short leave of absence, and am finally able to try to get into derm which has always been my goal. This potential employer would train me for 4-6 weeks unpaid and then start to book me patients. The SP does not want to pay an hourly wage and only want to pay me 25% of collections for what i bring into the practice. They will not cover malpractice the first year and it will be revisited in one year. We are in the early stages of negotiations and I need your help.

Does anyone here only get paid a percentage of collections and if so what is the norm? I am unsettled with this because I am not sure how busy this practice is (only one physician) and its not clear how much work she has available. I am really unsure of the earning potential. I would start with follow up patients, general derm until I was more comfortable. The physician is very nice, willing to train (unpaid), And the physician wants to cut her own hours. It is a way for me to get in the derm door. What are your thoughts??? Thanks, Tee

I already posted a reply on the general forum but I will tell you my reimbursement for one of my jobs- I get 50% of what we get paid for each patient. My malpractice is covered by my SP. I have no overhead. I pay my own taxes but get some benefits of being an independent contractor. I request supplies and get them, without having to pay for them. On average, I make anywhere from $50-75 per patient, depending on what I do. The staff is super supportive and books me in such a way that I am not waiting around with huge gaps in my schedule. So I go in, get out, and am done when the last patient is gone. I get the benefit of having a SP to consult with, building my own practice, and great reimbursement. Don't let this dermatologist pay you less than what you're worth and treat you this way. They can be a nutty bunch.

Archived