Paid Clinical Experience

Hey guys I just joined the forum and was very stuck on the best way to get paid clinical experience. My main dilemma is that I am still currently a full time student while also working part time, and I do not feel that I will be able to juggle a separate CNA type program as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 minutes ago, philllyvee said:

Consider taking a gap year or apply to schools that don't emphasize paid experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! I really would like to shy away from taking a gap year as best as I can and I will place preference to those that do not emphasize paid experience.

Thanks for the reply! I really would like to shy away from taking a gap year as best as I can and I will place preference to those that do not emphasize paid experience.
You do you my friend, but as someone who choose to take a gap year I gotta tell ya that it's a great option for a lot of reasons.

Firstly, having a full time salary out of college is a lot of fun. Granted, you might already have money but if your anything like me you were living fairly broke and reliant on family or 10-20 hours of work per week for funds. Right now as a full time phlebotomist I make about 3K a month and I legit feel rich. I've purchased useless shit, funded my own vacations (went to Mexico and Austin Texas in the last 5 months), and more likely to dine on healthier and tastier foods. I also have so much free time that I've been able to get a very solid gym and diet regime unlike anything I managed as an undergrad. I finally have time to read books and other hobbies.

Then on a more professional tone, depending on the experience you end up with you can truly set yourself apart from the rest of your PA class when clinical rotations begin because you have hours of experience in clinical settings. You'll also have the clinical experiences which give you substance when working on your personal statement and secondary applications. And lastly you'll have the free time to truly submitting a stellar well prepared application.

It's just some things to consider. But ey you rock nonetheless if you end up in PA school right out of the gate.

7 minutes ago, philllyvee said:

You do you my friend, but as someone who choose to take a gap year I gotta tell ya that it's a great option for a lot of reasons.

Firstly, having a full time salary out of college is a lot of fun. Granted, you might already have money but if your anything like me you were living fairly broke and reliant on family or 10-20 hours of work per week for funds. Right now as a full time phlebotomist I make about 3K a month and I legit feel rich. I've purchased useless shit, funded my own vacations (went to Mexico and Austin Texas in the last 5 months), and more likely to dine on healthier and tastier foods. I also have so much free time that I've been able to get a very solid gym and diet regime unlike anything I managed as an undergrad. I finally have time to read books and other hobbies.

Then on a more professional tone, depending on the experience you end up with you can truly set yourself apart from the rest of your PA class when clinical rotations begin because you have hours of experience in clinical settings. You'll also have the clinical experiences which give you substance when working on your personal statement and secondary applications. And lastly you'll have the free time to truly submitting a stellar well prepared application.

It's just some things to consider. But ey you rock nonetheless if you end up in PA school right out of the gate.

LMAO ,Amen I guess a gap year doesn't sound too bad lol, how tough was your phlebotomist program?

A gap year is a blessing in disguise. I was so done with school after spending 5 years in undergrad. I wanted a break. I applaud those that went straight from undergrad to grad to full-time career. 

I for one wanted to travel, earn some serious cash for a single guy, and have some time to actually "miss" the structure of school work. 

That said, when I was a sophomore I took 2 summer courses in addition to a 3 month EMT-B program which ended up merging into my Fall semester. EMT training is not difficult content wise...just time consuming. 

12 hours ago, philllyvee said:

phlebotomist and school

I got my ASCP phlebotomist certification after 4 months of school and 100 clinical hours and a 100 successful sticks and passes my certification exam. Working PRN weekends at hospital ER really honed my skills plus I learned a lot in the lab with the tech I worked with which has been invaluable while I was getting my certified medical assistant degree the last 2 years. I got $15 an hr while working and going to school.  Having just graduated though before continuing on to my bachelors a break to work is great to help prevent burnout. Plus having some cash is really nice.  

14 hours ago, philllyvee said:

I cant echo this enough. Once youre a PA, you have a CAREER and real, tangible responsibility. I'm working as an MA right now on my year off and dang, it has been so fun. My job is demanding- 50 hr/ wk, and I'm responsible for a lot of my patient's care, but at the end of the day- I'm an MA, not a high-level provider. This have given me the freedom to travel, play rec sports, meet new people, and just relax. Consider it. It's your last time to be a "kid"

Archived