Interviewing while employed

Guest hcruz496

Guest hcruz496

How do you handle going to interviews while being employed?  I applied to probably way too many schools.  I submitted my applications 8/7 and have 2 interviews already.  I am happy but didn't expect things to start happening so soon.  I am probably going to get fired for asking for too much time off.  I thought I would get by with not telling my employer I am in the process of applying to PA school, but that probably won't happen.  

I told my immediate boss that I will be attending PA school interviews and will not have a set date set until I am notified per program. I was able to switch shifts with other employees if I was told way in advance, but if it was last minute, my job was still pretty understanding. 

If you're going to get fired, that's pretty awful. Your employer should be understanding IF given sufficient time and notified in advance. If not, think of it this way, it's your future and only you should determine the outcome of that. Did you let your employer know you're in the process of applying to PA schools during your interviews? If not, maybe you should have told them so they can expect it. 

Moving forward, maybe just shoot them an email letting them know that you might need to change around your schedule to accommodate your absence to attend your interviews.

All you can do is ask for the time off as soon as you know you need it or try switching shifts with coworkers.

As someone who had a 'career' as opposed to a 'job' while applying I did NOT tell my employer I was applying to PA school, did not have the ability to switch shifts with coworkers (small staff), and admittedly called in sick once in order to attend an interview.  My employer would not have taken kindly to knowing I was attempting to leave the field and was under no such obligation to accommodate me regardless of when/if I told them.  I had to meet the same PTO request standards as my coworkers which included requesting time off 1 month in advance and had last minute requests subject to swift denial or excessive scrutiny as well as not exceeding my level of earned PTO.

That said, I was able to schedule nearly all of my interviews on weekends (save for that one sick call) or had them approved ahead of time.  Sometimes this meant a late flight out, interview the next day, and flying back immediately after the interview - regardless of the price of flights or how much sleep I got before the interview and/or work.  Do what you have to do but know that you may have to make it work under less than ideal circumstances.

At some point maybe you'll have to consider not attending all interviews offered, whether you do or don't have an acceptance yet.  It's not ideal but be realistic with yourself about your chances at each program and if you'd *really* want to go there; if you wouldn't, don't waste time and money interviewing.

Guest hcruz496
2 hours ago, Diggy said:

I told my immediate boss that I will be attending PA school interviews and will not have a set date set until I am notified per program. I was able to switch shifts with other employees if I was told way in advance, but if it was last minute, my job was still pretty understanding. 

If you're going to get fired, that's pretty awful. Your employer should be understanding IF given sufficient time and notified in advance. If not, think of it this way, it's your future and only you should determine the outcome of that. Did you let your employer know you're in the process of applying to PA schools during your interviews? If not, maybe you should have told them so they can expect it. 

Moving forward, maybe just shoot them an email letting them know that you might need to change around your schedule to accommodate your absence to attend your interviews.

I haven't even passed my 90 days yet, that's why I'm worried about already making time off requests.  When I interviewed for the job I never told them about PA school because I didn't feel it was their business and frankly thought it would hurt my chances of getting the job because they would see me as temporary.  I might have to tell them sooner than planned.  This will be an awkward conversation.  

Guest hcruz496
2 hours ago, MT2PA said:

That said, I was able to schedule nearly all of my interviews on weekends (save for that one sick call) or had them approved ahead of time.  Sometimes this meant a late flight out, interview the next day, and flying back immediately after the interview - regardless of the price of flights or how much sleep I got before the interview and/or work.  Do what you have to do but know that you may have to make it work under less than ideal circumstances.

At some point maybe you'll have to consider not attending all interviews offered, whether you do or don't have an acceptance yet.  It's not ideal but be realistic with yourself about your chances at each program and if you'd *really* want to go there; if you wouldn't, don't waste time and money interviewing.

How did you end up getting weekend interviews?  The schools I have heard from either give a single date or give a choice of a couple but during the week.  

I plan to try to make my trips as short as possible to not miss too much work.  I think I'll have to fly out the day before though, because even a red-eye flight would make me late.  

I plan to stop going to interviews once I get an acceptance, even if it's at an out of state school.  I will continue to go if it is close to home.  Ultimately I want to go to Baylor but they don't even send out interview invites until December.  

Archived