Sign in to follow this  

is this a good track to follow?

I'm a first year student at community college, where I plan to be for 2 years. Hopefully, I can transfer after that majoring in Psychology. As for my experience, I will earn some hours at a hospice this semester. I'll set up my classes for spring semester in a way that I can take an EMT class at an ROP too. While, I do this, I'll be working as a caregiver for a few days a week (maybe not even necessary). After my EMT certification, I find a job for that and continue working as I am getting my degree. I'll also apply for a health scholar summer program, where I'll be volunteering at a hospital in the summer all week. (I will not work all summer because of this) Will I be set? Advices?

Theres a thread for stats, PA accepted students if you do a search for USC you can find stats of accepted students for the previous years. 

http://keck.usc.edu/physician-assistant-program/admission/selection-criteria/

Screen shot attached for your conveyance.

Here is the link to the stats for accepted PA-S students. A search for "USC" will show you posts from students who applied, wait listed, rejected. Hope this helps, good luck on your journey!

IMG_9324.PNG

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a good plan. Just pursue the EMT try getting into a hospital as a tech if possible, accumulate those PCE hours while maintaining a competitive GPA and you'll be fine! Leadership position in extracurriculars always helps too 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chasendreams
      Hello, I am Chase Bernardy, a current 3rd Year at CSUSB - Cal State San Bernardino as Kinesiology Allied Health Major with a minor in Biology and overall GPA of 3.7. I am in desperate need to shadow in order to graduate on time. I work as an EMT and Phlebotomist, and am taking more medical classes this summer. Any help would be appreciated, I understand the difficulty with COVID, but I am not afraid of the task. Have a good day!
    • By PAstudentcp2021
      Since social media is such a big part of the newer generations day to day life, I wanted to start a thread for helpful Instagram accounts to follow for our journey to becoming a PA! These range from current PA school applicants, PA students, and PA-Cs. Feel free to add to the list!!!!

Pre-PA Instagram Accounts:
      @ thepathtopa @ thepaplatform @ chasinghealthgoals  @ my.path.to.pa @ renatamarie_pre.pa @ la.petite.pa @ myparesource @ mypabox @ hannah.pa @ j_thefuturepa @ sparkles_and_scalpels_ @ medically.bri @ pa_tientcare @ taylormorgan.pa.s @ caasapa @ pas_kendall  @ jadamarie.pa @ emilyb_pa  
    • By catters
      I know that you can literally major in ANYTHING, but do some programs have an inherent preference for science majors. Would majoring in for instance Communications, be seen as taking the "easy way out". Obviously, getting an A in a upper division communications class is easier than getting an A in a upper division biology class (not a pre-req). This would lead to a high cGPA but will pa programs hold this against you in some way???
    • By ttusk
      Received my first job offer today.  Would like some input as to my compensation package!  Thank y'all in advance for your feedback!
      Practice: working closely with one physician, mostly surgical FA with pre and post op care, some wound care that requires travel, and some work in the cosmetic clinic; currently projected at a 6 month intensive training period but physician is open to tailor it based upon my progression
      Salary: $95k for the first year with government standard mileage if I'm doing house calls or traveling between clinics, no guarenteed raise that I'm aware of, opportunity to restructure to base + % of collections once I'm productive, no salary cap
      Hours: likely 50+ hours/week based upon what current PA works, will take call and round on hospital patients on the weekends but am able to request some weekends off if I feel that I need some free time (physician states they may consider splitting call and rounding between myself and the current PA)
      Benefits: 3 month probationary period, 401K with match, health insurance (HSA) with 3600/year employer contribution, 10 days ETO for the first year that I begin accruing day 1 but cannot use until after probabtion, I will be added to the practice's existing malpractice policy +/- tail coverage, medical center parking covered by employer
      No CME allowance or dedicated time off for CME (expected to go to affiliated hospital for free CME or request employer to pay for CME on a case by case basis)
      DEA required but not paid for by employer.
      State license and associated fees not paid for by employer.
      I'm not so sure the physician is open to negotiations on this contract.  May possibly increase my salary if I give up some benefits.  PA that currently works for physician says the physician is a fantastic educator and states I will learn an enormous amount. 
      My dilemma is that my salary seems far below average/median salary for new grad California PAs (115k based off AAPA salary report), however, this offer is on par with 0 to 1 year experience plastics PA salaries reported in the AAPA salary report, though the statistical population is very small (n=7). I know plastics is hard to break into as a new grad and the experience I would gain is invaluable but given LA has such a high cost of living, I wonder if I should hold out until another job offer with higher pay comes around.  It seems very possible that my salary may increase rapidly after the first year if I truly put in the work but that hasn't been directly stated.
    • By chaerui
      Hello! I'm currently taking ochem (the second ochem class to complete the ochem unit requirements for some pa programs) but I'm not taking the lab. Would the lab be needed to complete the unit requirement even though my ochem units would suffice? there's literally one school I am going to apply to that says preferred requirement for ochem or biochem preferred with lab but I am not taking lab because of the course load. Would it detrimental if i dont take lab at all? as long as im taking the ochem classes..? 
      another thing, some schools require spanish but i took 4 years of spanish in high school (including the AP examination): is this acceptable?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More