Hi, 

I am a psychology student in my first year. After shadowing my aunt and her PAs, I have decided to pursue a career in that. I looked at a couple programs including USC's, Loma Linda's, Davis', Western Uni's, Northeastern's, and Cornell's.  I'm aware that shadowing doesn't count for many of these programs (but it does in loma linda where my aunt works at their hospital). My mom works as a caregiver at an assisted living. Could I get my patient care hours there working as one? I have also started finding volunteer opportunities at hospitals and retirement homes nearby,

If I were you I would get CNA certified and try to land a job in a hospital working as a floor tech or an ED tech. While being a caregiver in an assisted living facility would probably count as PCE (depending on your job description), I believe that you will learn a lot more about medicine working in a hospital setting. By becoming an ED tech you will be working alongside MDs and PAs which will be very beneficial. You will most likely not get the same exposure working in an assisted living facility. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PotentialPA1
      I’ve already been gathering my PCE/HCE by volunteering as an EMT, working as a Scribe, and working as a DSP at a home for people with head injuries. So, volunteering at an animal shelter would simply just be my “giving back to the community” addition to my application. I love animals so this would be really satisfying for me to do in my spare time, when I’m not working with humans lol. Would schools look at this at all, or is it just a waste of my time that I should be spending working at a soup kitchen or something? I understand that a soup kitchen would probably be better and I plan on doing something like that once covid is over but for now my friend is starting up her own animal shelter and I would love for this to count for my application and make me look better to schools.
    • By Chasendreams
      Hello, I am Chase Bernardy, a current 3rd Year at CSUSB - Cal State San Bernardino as Kinesiology Allied Health Major with a minor in Biology and overall GPA of 3.7. I am in desperate need to shadow in order to graduate on time. I work as an EMT and Phlebotomist, and am taking more medical classes this summer. Any help would be appreciated, I understand the difficulty with COVID, but I am not afraid of the task. Have a good day!
    • By PAstudentcp2021
      Since social media is such a big part of the newer generations day to day life, I wanted to start a thread for helpful Instagram accounts to follow for our journey to becoming a PA! These range from current PA school applicants, PA students, and PA-Cs. Feel free to add to the list!!!!

Pre-PA Instagram Accounts:
      @ thepathtopa @ thepaplatform @ chasinghealthgoals  @ my.path.to.pa @ renatamarie_pre.pa @ la.petite.pa @ myparesource @ mypabox @ hannah.pa @ j_thefuturepa @ sparkles_and_scalpels_ @ medically.bri @ pa_tientcare @ taylormorgan.pa.s @ caasapa @ pas_kendall  @ jadamarie.pa @ emilyb_pa  
    • By pastudent6262
      Hello,
      I'm having a little panic session right now. I submitted one application and realized I did not add the last name for a PA that I shadowed in my experience section. Is this gonna be a major issue for my application? I thought CASPA meant that I couldn't edit the submitted application but that I could still edit the ones I had not yet submitted and now I realize I can't. Are schools going to fault me for this? 
    • By catters
      I know that you can literally major in ANYTHING, but do some programs have an inherent preference for science majors. Would majoring in for instance Communications, be seen as taking the "easy way out". Obviously, getting an A in a upper division communications class is easier than getting an A in a upper division biology class (not a pre-req). This would lead to a high cGPA but will pa programs hold this against you in some way???

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More