Best way to get patient care hours?

Hi, 

I am a psychology student in my first year. After shadowing my aunt and her PAs, I have decided to pursue a career in that. I looked at a couple programs including USC's, Loma Linda's, Davis', Western Uni's, Northeastern's, and Cornell's.  I'm aware that shadowing doesn't count for many of these programs (but it does in loma linda where my aunt works at their hospital). My mom works as a caregiver at an assisted living. Could I get my patient care hours there working as one? I have also started finding volunteer opportunities at hospitals and retirement homes nearby,

If I were you I would get CNA certified and try to land a job in a hospital working as a floor tech or an ED tech. While being a caregiver in an assisted living facility would probably count as PCE (depending on your job description), I believe that you will learn a lot more about medicine working in a hospital setting. By becoming an ED tech you will be working alongside MDs and PAs which will be very beneficial. You will most likely not get the same exposure working in an assisted living facility. 

Archived