"personal" statement on a "public" forum

I'm new here, so I do not know all the rules of the forum. But i have noticed a trend of several people uploading and posting their personal statements on the "public forum" for the entire internet to see. I guess it is to be expected when everyone is used to posting on facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter, youtube, etc. 

I know most people in this forum are helpful, encouraging, etc. But there are hundreds of "guests" browsing. Who knows? Maybe some are from admissions from different schools or maybe someone lazy looking to plagiarize your PS? Perhaps it is a good time to remind yourself that you should think twice before posting public content...ESPECIALLY your PS. You worked so hard on it and it is PERSONAL.

Am I the only one that sees this as a potential problem? Wishing everyone the best of luck...but use wisdom, common sense, self control, etc when posting.

Personal statements are hard to copy if they have real experiences that cannot be backed up by anyone else. For those more cautious, though, they should definitely use private messages on here for exchanging personal statements or seeking help. Sometimes I also have people email me their ps because I prefer to work on a word document. Anyway, I don't think there are too many numb skulls looking to copy someone else's personal statement because they would be quite unfortunate to be asked a question regarding their statement with no ability to back it up, plus their statement would not align with their listed or not listed experiences. Plus if you look at the statements, most of them are in their first drafts, no one really sees their finished state and to copy a rough statement is bad taste cause it needs a lot of work. This is to serve as a warning to those who have thought about stealing, to dont, because it's gonna bite the stealer more than anything. I encourage people to continue asking for help, however they feel comfortable because a good ps with experiences to back it up can really make the difference and they should seek advice from multiple sources. This forum cannot be a one stop shop for a good statement, only a starting point. 

ajames is right.  While nearly anyone with internet access can view your personal statement, it'd be difficult to take one's essay and copy it word for word.  However, the feedback you get from those on the forum should be taken as a grain of salt.  Many people are starting out just like you are, so they may not be qualified to give any constructive feedback.  If you want quality feedback on your essay that will help you stand out from other applicants, you should really consult with professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read thousands of personal statements at this point, you can tell what is hashed, regurgitated drivel, what is real, what may be plagiarized, etc.  Taking a phrase from a PS and dropping it into google or other academic resources does wonders when looking for plagarized statements.  And yes, many people who read statements here sit on adcomms around the country... if used for what it is intended - real help getting direction on trying to get into PA school - then it works great.  But like myself, others look through these sites, do random searches, etc to check for the concerns cited elsewhere in this thread.  

G

Archived