Applying for DEA license and NPI?

Simple question.

Do we need a job or practice location in order/before we apply for a DEA license or NPI provider number?

I haven't received a job offer yet and I'm wanting to get my DEA beforehand rather than to wait until I'm hired. Of course I'm going to ask for reimbursement, but is this possible?

P.S. I have my state medical license to practice.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Make sure if you use your address, change it right away to your work address unless you want your patients to be able to find where you live because it's searchable through NPI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Solid advice. If you don't have a workplace yet, you can rent a nearby P.O. Box temporarily

You have to be able to provide a business address where there is a SP.  I don't think they will check - per se - but here is the email that I got when I attempted the UPS box thing - 

Hi PA Bill S. Preston, Esq.

I am emailing you from Drug Enforcement Administration in the Anytown (San Dimas?) Office.  I have a pending application for your DEA Number.  Please provide me with your physical business address.  The address is showing as a UPS address.  We cannot list a UPS address as your employment.  As a PA you have to have a location of where you have a Supervising Physician.  The certificate can still be mailed to that address but it has to list your work address of where you prescribe, dispense or and administer controlled substances.  You can email me at your earliest convenience with that information.  Thank you 

And I agree strongly.  A UPS or PO box is crucial.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, loliz said:

I would wait on the DEA. It's not cheap and many employers will either pay for it or if it is non-profit the fee will be waived. It takes less time to get than credentialing takes to process so really no need to hurry. 

Thanks Loliz - I have a contract with DEA, Pre-licensing/Licensing, and Credentialing reimbursements stated verbatim so I recoup my costs. 

3 hours ago, Torshi said:

Thanks Loliz - I have a contract with DEA, Pre-licensing/Licensing, and Credentialing reimbursements stated verbatim so I recoup my costs. 

But no job offer....? I am confused. Wait for the offer, you never know what might happen and a couple days isn't going to change much in the DEA process anyway. And then you will have an actual practice address so you won't have to go back and edit your license anyway. 

3 hours ago, TheGunsnMoses said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can transfer your DEA to another state if you will not be using that DEA in the previous state. But if you practice in two states at the same time then you need two DEAs.

Correct.  You can transfer DEA from one state to another and need separate DEA numbers if working in two states. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I am in the same boat. Licensed PA-C in North Carolina, without a job yet. I was recommended by someone I interviewed with to get a DEA license application in now.

But I’m not even sure I can? I do not have a North Carolina address yet. Also, what are you supposed to put in the boxes for supervising physician’s name and license number? 

• Like 1