Are you uncomfortable when a patient seems to be attracted to you?

I feel for you ladies. I'm still a pre-PA student and I work as a phlebotomist.

Everyday I have male patients asking me about the nurses, if I'm having relations any of them, or just trying to bro out with me and talk about the features on them.

I just kinda start nodding my head whenever it happens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

If I feel uncomfortable then they immediately are no longer my patient, they get transferred to one of the other providers in the group.  When it's a little old lady making an benign comment as I'm still pretty young...no big deal.

How often does this occur? It sounds like you've dealt with this before... Did you just say "I'm flattered but I'm going to have to refer you to another PA"?

And did you honestly feel that your safety and your practice was threatened?

So far I have never felt that my safety or practice was threatened, but while doing intimate exams I have had two "interesting" comments from patients that, while probably benign, crossed the imaginary line I set when I started practicing.

When they occurred I actually didn't make any comment to the patient, I just had my receptionist change the patient's PCP in their chart and note that they are a non-schedule with me.

Someone who just simply states that I am cute, good looking, etc., I just smile and state that I agree my wife is a lucky woman - always gets a good laugh from the patient!

I've had patients tell me I'm pretty or too pretty to be a doctor (at which point I tell them I'm actually not a doctor- also,what an offensive comment) but it's almost always drug seeking chronic pain people trying to butter me up because flattery gets you opioids? I can usually just blow by the comment and ignore it completely. If it persists, I'm pretty good at shutting it down in a professional way. 

Also, pretty much every patient I've had that's over 70 yo has felt compelled to comment on my dimples and then I feel like I can't smile for the rest of the conversation. I think dimples must have been a big deal back in the day.

The worst, creepiest thing I've had happen was a man who came in complaining of rectal pain and bleeding  who insisted he can't have any male providers or nurses because he had PTSD from being sexually abused. I brought my female RN with me and did the exam (totally negative) and his reaction was pretty inappropriate and he kept asking questions to see if he could get me to do the exam again, look again, whatever. He would not get up out of a position where he was basically pointing his bare a$$ in our direction. Later he put on his call light and the RN came in the room to find him standing naked and masturbating. When I looked at his previous few visits they were all rectum related and then the staff looked him up and it turns out he was a violent sex offender, recently out of prison again. We flagged his chart as "NO female care givers". I felt like I needed a thousand showers after that.

2 hours ago, JMPAC said:

The worst, creepiest thing I've had happen was a man who came in complaining of rectal pain and bleeding  who insisted he can't have any male providers or nurses because he had PTSD from being sexually abused. I brought my female RN with me and did the exam (totally negative) and his reaction was pretty inappropriate and he kept asking questions to see if he could get me to do the exam again, look again, whatever. He would not get up out of a position where he was basically pointing his bare a$$ in our direction. Later he put on his call light and the RN came in the room to find him standing naked and masturbating. When I looked at his previous few visits they were all rectum related and then the staff looked him up and it turns out he was a violent sex offender, recently out of prison again. We flagged his chart as "NO female care givers". I felt like I needed a thousand showers after that.

Oh jeeeeez, this is cringeworthy. :(

3 hours ago, JMPAC said:

I've had patients tell me I'm pretty or too pretty to be a doctor (at which point I tell them I'm actually not a doctor- also,what an offensive comment) but it's almost always drug seeking chronic pain people trying to butter me up because flattery gets you opioids? I can usually just blow by the comment and ignore it completely. If it persists, I'm pretty good at shutting it down in a professional way. 

Also, pretty much every patient I've had that's over 70 yo has felt compelled to comment on my dimples and then I feel like I can't smile for the rest of the conversation. I think dimples must have been a big deal back in the day.

Unfortunately, I feel like this happens to many female medical professionals at some point...It's really too bad he's back in the streets. 

Although, this is a sexual offense as opposed to just flirting. I totally understand refusing to work with someone in this situation.

I work in cards and do/interpret a lot of EKGs, so it's not uncommon for me to have to "expose" women of all ages to do my tests. Every once in awhile I'll get a comment from a family member or the patient about how "I must love seeing all the breasts". It's unprofessional and I do my best to ignore it, deflect and continue doing my job. I'm not there to flirt, I'm there to look at their heart. Of course my experience comes from being a dude. I'm sure it's different for women as JMPAC said. 

• Administrator

It's pretty infrequent, but I have had 1-2 too flirtatious patients.  I ignore it and stay professional, and just wonder if it's someone else's upbringing where they do a lot more social touching (arm, etc.) than I'm comfortable with.

I agree that as a male provider, I'm less likely to be put in a position where I can't just "play dumb" to solve the situation.  I have never been overtly propositioned (e.g., for narcotics), and I like to hope that's because I give off enough of a "don't even go there" vibe.

8 hours ago, JMPAC said:

He would not get up out of a position where he was basically pointing his bare a$$ in our direction. Later he put on his call light and the RN came in the room to find him standing naked and masturbating. When I looked at his previous few visits they were all rectum related and then the staff looked him up and it turns out he was a violent sex offender, recently out of prison again. We flagged his chart as "NO female care givers". I felt like I needed a thousand showers after that.

lmaooooo

Archived