LECOM Bridge Program

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I have been a PA for 8 years and have recently decided to further my studies and go to DO school.  

I found this blog today and found what @primadonna22274 posted very helpful and I much feel the way you felt when you decided to go back to school. I feel like I am capped as a PA and I want to do much more to learn more and further better myself. 

I'm starting to work on my research and there's so many different opinions and options out there.

I first looked into LECOM but I'm concerned with residency match success if I go the accelerated route. 

What I would love to do as a physician is sports medicine and rehab mixed with part of internal medicine. Reason why is because I have worked as a PA in sports medicine for the past 2 years and I fell in love with the rehab aspect of it... Where can I find more detailed information about the residencies so I know exactly what I'm aiming for? 

Can you please give me some advise on ways of finding out more information, how to understand all my options, and the correct sources for research? 

I know you must be busy but your insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I rarely check the boards anymore.
But, since you asked....
None of the APAP folks have had any difficulty matching to residency of their choice. What you want to do can be accomplished by FM or IM with sports med fellowship, but might be best achieved with PMR with or without sports med fellowship.
I’m thankful every day that I went back when I did. I am happier and more fulfilled as a physician where the buck really does stop with me.
Good luck!
Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2017 at 0:03 PM, d2305 said:

I've seen quite a variety of family outpatient medicine from homeless to affluent, but I would be totally lost in the ICU. 

Here's a thought: at what point is a physician a superior clinician to an experienced PA. I know it isn't the first day of internship, but sometime later.

I think superior clinician is a loaded statement, but I will say that in the PAs in my profession, I learned quite a bit during intern year, and even now, they are way, way better at all the procedures than me.  I think the advantage of formal residencies is 1) the didactic component, and 2) the variety.  For example, compared to the PAs/NPs in the NICU, who have a very hyperfocused knowledge base in their particular area, I have the opportunity to rotate through pediatric cardiology, genetics, GI, PICU, wards, etc...along with didactics.  So when I come back to a particular area, it's with a broader base of knowledge, not all of which applies, but enough of it does that it makes a difference.  When things don't go 'by the book', it helps having that wider experience (e.g, oh I saw something similar in cardiology...we managed it this way, or I took care of kids with this type of syndrome during my genetics rotation, here's what we would be worried about etc..).  All that stuff adds up, in my opinion.

I mentioned in the other thread, but I do think experienced PAs should be able to take all the STEP exams (like the FMG graduates do now), and then apply for residencies and become fully licensed physicians if they want to.

I haven't thought about med school since high school but how come you guys aren't thinking about foreign medical schools?My Nigerian friend is a doctor in Nigeria. He did not do well in his USMLE and could not get a residency. Other than that, he could've just slid right into residency without going to a US medical school and probably cheaper.

Hello everyone! I have been doing critical care (SICU/MICU/CCU/NEURO) between the city and local hospitals for a few years.  I don't have as much experience as some of you fine people. My PA program was a joint masters/bachelors, and I had a bachelors from a previous 4 year school. I am 26 years old. I love my profession.  I feel like I can do more for my patients then I am sometimes allowed. In critical care as PAs we do have a lot of autonomy, but sometimes this is physician dependent. It gets to me. I train residents and medical students who are older than me. I also work as an independent contractor through some local hospitals. SO! I have been looking for an opportunity like the LECOM bridge from PA to DO program. I do not believe it is financially savvy especially from the lost income while I would be in school. But then again I don't believe anyone should go into medicine for the money. My grades in PA and under graduate were sub par. 3.2 in college. 3.3 in graduate. 1130 on my SAT in high school. I wanted to avoid taking the MCAT if I could. Do you all think I would be a decent applicant? Or am just fantasizing here. Please any constructive information would be greatly appreciated on how I can improve myself. 

Hello everyone! I have been doing critical care (SICU/MICU/CCU/NEURO) between the city and local hospitals for a few years.  I don't have as much experience as some of you fine people. My PA program was a joint masters/bachelors, and I had a bachelors from a previous 4 year school. I am 26 years old. I love my profession.  I feel like I can do more for my patients then I am sometimes allowed. In critical care as PAs we do have a lot of autonomy, but sometimes this is physician dependent. It gets to me. I train residents and medical students who are older than me. I also work as an independent contractor through some local hospitals. SO! I have been looking for an opportunity like the LECOM bridge from PA to DO program. I do not believe it is financially savvy especially from the lost income while I would be in school. But then again I don't believe anyone should go into medicine for the money. My grades in PA and under graduate were sub par. 3.2 in college. 3.3 in graduate. 1130 on my SAT in high school. I wanted to avoid taking the MCAT if I could. Do you all think I would be a decent applicant? Or am just fantasizing here. Please any constructive information would be greatly appreciated on how I can improve myself. 

Contact LECOM

• 5 months later...

Just an update...I got silent rejected last year applying to the bridge program.  Went back to the drawing board and took the MCAT in April.  Reapplied to medical schools in Texas and LECOM's bridge program again and applied much earlier this time.  Just received an interview invite to LECOM today : )  Hope it works out this time around!

On 6/28/2018 at 5:44 PM, TTURedRaider said:

Just an update...I got silent rejected last year applying to the bridge program.  Went back to the drawing board and took the MCAT in April.  Reapplied to medical schools in Texas and LECOM's bridge program again and applied much earlier this time.  Just received an interview invite to LECOM today : )  Hope it works out this time around!

Did they tell you if it was your low SAT or MCAT score that caused you to not get interview last year? Also, did you apply primary care track? I heard that is a lot easier to get into

2 hours ago, EMfuturePA said:

Did they tell you if it was your low SAT or MCAT score that caused you to not get interview last year? Also, did you apply primary care track? I heard that is a lot easier to get into

I didn't get any feedback on why I didn't get an interview last year.  I applied later last year (late August) compared to early June this year.  My SAT wasn't awful though (1190) so I doubt it was that, but I didn't have an MCAT score.  It was probably a combination of my GPA (3.4 cumulative) plus a less than stellar PANCE score (494).  I think I was able to get an interview this year due to my MCAT score (about 70th percentile) plus applying much earlier in the cycle.  I haven't committed to the primary care track and I'm not sure when that actually happens.  I emailed them my interests, which include emergency medicine, so I think I'm still in the running for one of their 6 specialty slots. I interview July 20th so hopefully I'll find out more about that.

• 2 weeks later...

@TTURedRaider

Hi!

I've read over some of your posts and hope it's okay to maybe ask a few questions! I don't see a thread directly relating to my thoughts. I am currently getting ready to finish up my first semester of didactic year (PA school) and am having serious regrets about not pursuing medical school instead. I don't feel like I am where I want to be and don't feel like I am on the same plane of enthusiasm and contentment with the PA profession or our studies as my peers are. This is something I have felt for quite some time, even before starting, but I generally grow to love things gradually, so I thought I may find happiness and my wishes for med school would wane.

They aren't. 

I have spoken with a few local med schools who don't seem to feel that leaving PA school would hurt my chances of acceptance in any way (I'm carrying very good grades) but do you think this seems like a crazy idea to leave and not finish? I wouldn't be able to apply to med school until next year but would take a couple more science intensive courses in the mean time. My program is pretty expensive and staying in when my heart isn't in it seems irresponsible. I also need adequate time to study for the MCAT and take a couple science courses.

Background info: my PA program is fantastic. I feel like they set students up to succeed and I have no issue with them or the program, I just feel more and more unfulfilled and regretful. 

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

8 hours ago, anonPAS said:

@TTURedRaider

Hi!

I've read over some of your posts and hope it's okay to maybe ask a few questions! I don't see a thread directly relating to my thoughts. I am currently getting ready to finish up my first semester of didactic year (PA school) and am having serious regrets about not pursuing medical school instead. I don't feel like I am where I want to be and don't feel like I am on the same plane of enthusiasm and contentment with the PA profession or our studies as my peers are. This is something I have felt for quite some time, even before starting, but I generally grow to love things gradually, so I thought I may find happiness and my wishes for med school would wane.

They aren't. 

I have spoken with a few local med schools who don't seem to feel that leaving PA school would hurt my chances of acceptance in any way (I'm carrying very good grades) but do you think this seems like a crazy idea to leave and not finish? I wouldn't be able to apply to med school until next year but would take a couple more science intensive courses in the mean time. My program is pretty expensive and staying in when my heart isn't in it seems irresponsible. I also need adequate time to study for the MCAT and take a couple science courses.

Background info: my PA program is fantastic. I feel like they set students up to succeed and I have no issue with them or the program, I just feel more and more unfulfilled and regretful. 

Not OP but in a similar situation as you. I didn’t have these feelings until halfway through didactic which at that point would be pointless to drop out.

ive decided to graduate, study while getting a job/ credentialing and take the MCAT. Work and enroll in my two extra classes and apply in 2020

feel free to PM as well 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, anonPAS said:

@TTURedRaider

Hi!

They aren't. 

What PA school are you attending? Best luck to you with whatever you decide, it looks like you know what you want!

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, anonPAS said:

@TTURedRaider

Hi!

They aren't. 

I definitely get what you are saying and I felt the same way as I went through PA school, but man that would be a tough decision to just up and leave without graduating.  I think that could be bad in several ways.  One, I think medical schools would look negatively upon that as you are going to be viewed as a "quitter" in some eyes.  I think finishing PA school strong and showing you have what it takes can only enhance your chances of medical school matriculation.  In some ADCOM's eyes, why would they believe that you wouldn't quit medical school if they let you in?

Also, I don't think it is a bad idea to finish it, work for a couple years while studying for the MCAT and getting everything in order to apply and get some life experience.  That way you can make sure this is something that you really want to do, get paid a good living, and significantly boost your resume for medical school.  This is just my two cents...

• 2 months later...

Found out yesterday I’ve been accepted to LECOM’s bridge program and was granted an undeclared seat : ) (meaning I can specialize if I choose to do so). I’ve also been accepted to a few other DO medical schools and have 2 more Texas medical school interviews within the next 2 weeks ( TCOM and UTRGV).  Tough choices ahead! But for those of you whose heart is set on medical school, it can be done and I’m proof of it. Don’t give up if that’s your dream as well!

Archived