LECOM Bridge Program

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, moorecarson121 said:

Good for you. Would love to know if you considered 3 year MD programs versus the bridge program? Since both programs get you done in 3 years? I really like the DO model. But some of the 3 year MD programs give you more residency options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't consider the 3 year MD programs for several reasons.  Most importantly, they require an MCAT and that seems like the last time I want to be studying for right now.  Secondly, I do prefer the DO model and have had great experiences with DO colleagues and their method of practice.  Lastly, I think the 3 year MD programs are all primary care track correct?  I'm likely to go EM, Anesthesiology, or a remote possibility of primary care.

LECOM bridge is a no-brainer if you want to go back. no mcat and a smaller applicant pool. also some leniency on prereqs. For example, for the old folks like me who never took ochem, one online 3 credit ochem course without lab meets the requirement. (yes, I still think about applying in my late 40s).

3 hours ago, Ridiculopathy said:

Can u list some 3yr md programs por favor.  Gracias in advance! ?

I believe the Medical College of Wisconsin's Green Bay campus is a three year program, as will be the Wausau campus that they're building. However, I'm pretty sure those are limited to primary care and you still have to go through all the normal hoops (MCAT, applying via the central app, etc.). MCW's Milwaukee campus is 4 years and not limited to primary care. 

I have a friend who interviewed at the Green Bay campus (which is actually housed in the science building of St. Norbert College... which actually means that the campus is not in Green Bay, but De Pere, WI) and from what I've heard, most of their courses are taught via distance learning. 

I wouldn't consider the 3 year MD programs for several reasons.  Most importantly, they require an MCAT and that seems like the last time I want to be studying for right now.  Secondly, I do prefer the DO model and have had great experiences with DO colleagues and their method of practice.  Lastly, I think the 3 year MD programs are all primary care track correct?  I'm likely to go EM, Anesthesiology, or a remote possibility of primary care.

Makes sense to me. The only 3 year program I would consider is NYI. When you apply you declare a residency. Since most of your 4th year is spent on various elective rotations, this program basically cuts out the 4th year by directing you right in to your residency instead of these elective. They have a pretty extensive list of residencies to chose from, not just primary medicine. I just don't want to live that far north. I just a jacket on at 70 degrees [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks everyone for the replies....im in my early 40's and have done outpt internal med for 11+ years (no where like emed pa-my inspiration!)

now that i think of it, i wannA try d.o.........md's r quacks and eventually money hungry (and so r d.o.'s)......but as a pa, i practice allopathic med....but it aint what it's cracked up to be

if i go back to school, i want to try something new and for my patients!

id do fam med.

but is it true no mcat for lecom?   Thatd be awesome bc i graduated undergrad in 99 and i don't remember that stuff for the mcat nor do i think it's useful in practice or pa school!  But no mcat!  Cool!

i wish lecom would make a bridge program in their bradenton, fl campus as i live on the other coast.   Does anyone know if they'll bring it to florida?  My 3 dogs wont like eerie winters! ???

OP- should lecom's program not work out this cycle then take the mcat for next cycle. At first glance it's a beast, but as you get rolling with some review books, khan academy and then practice tests it's actually quite manageable with repeated major themes over and over. Adding a few more schools will increase your chances immensely , esp if you're willing to move. Ive been a PA for 3 years and have my app in this cycle but not to lecom because I'm staying local. I managed to study on days off while my son was in preschool and did okay on it. 

12 hours ago, Ridiculopathy said:

Thanks everyone for the replies....im in my early 40's and have done outpt internal med for 11+ years (no where like emed pa-my inspiration!)

now that i think of it, i wannA try d.o.........md's r quacks and eventually money hungry (and so r d.o.'s)......but as a pa, i practice allopathic med....but it aint what it's cracked up to be

if i go back to school, i want to try something new and for my patients!

id do fam med.

but is it true no mcat for lecom?   Thatd be awesome bc i graduated undergrad in 99 and i don't remember that stuff for the mcat nor do i think it's useful in practice or pa school!  But no mcat!  Cool!

i wish lecom would make a bridge program in their bradenton, fl campus as i live on the other coast.   Does anyone if they'll bring it to florida?  My 3 dogs wont like eerie winters! ???

Are you joking?

12 hours ago, FriarMedic said:

OP- should lecom's program not work out this cycle then take the mcat for next cycle. At first glance it's a beast, but as you get rolling with some review books, khan academy and then practice tests it's actually quite manageable with repeated major themes over and over. Adding a few more schools will increase your chances immensely , esp if you're willing to move. Ive been a PA for 3 years and have my app in this cycle but not to lecom because I'm staying local. I managed to study on days off while my son was in preschool and did okay on it. 

Appreciate the advice. While I'm very hopeful to get in this year at LECOM, I am prepared to take the mcat for next year's cycle if I need to. My brother is 10 years younger than me and just took the mcat and he will likely be matriculating to medical school next year (3.8 gpa in honors college and 506 mcat). He has all his review material that he used, so I'll be mimicking the way he prepared if it comes down to it. 

How many hours per week did you devote to it and how many months did you give yourself?

It's hard to quantify my studying but I made the decision about 6 months before I took the test. I simultaneously took ochem and physics while studying for mcat which looking back... wowza. I would usually have 2-3 days off per week and would crank out 10 hr days pretty nonstop getting my class work and mcat review in. This went on for about 6 months. My goal was a 504+ and I was pumped when I got a 508.

While the average mcat score is a 500 that's amongst all test takers. The average mcat of matriculated students is 508-509. To get state school and low tier MD looks you really prob need a 504+. I'd say 500+ and being a PA you're very competitive for DO. Most of this can be gleaned from perusing threads on SDN... just a word of caution as some of those threads can lead to some neurosis and also are quite hostile toward PAs.  Even with the PA degree u still need the stats, volunteering and strong writing just like everyone else to be competitive. 

On 8/9/2017 at 8:09 PM, TTURedRaider said:

I thought LECOM bridge program required MCAT. I would like to know if there are DO bridge programs without MCAT and which school(s). Thank you.

I don't know for sure but I do know the program has become far more competitive as it's still the only one of its kind. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were more than 5-6 qualified apps for every seat.

I do know that Dr Kauffman who founded the program in Erie has recently moved to the Bradenton campus. I do not know if this portends an extension program at LECOM-B but knowing Dr K, it's hard for me to imagine he wouldn't be pushing for it. I just don't have any inside info (yet...I haven't asked).

I was in the first graduating class of 2014 and just finished residency. Board-certified family doctor, baby!! I have never regretted taking the plunge and I am happier every day that I did it. I was older than you when I went back, 37, but not the oldest in the class. I would have been the age I am anyway whether I did it or not. I talked myself out of it for a decade...if that little voice won't go away, you might as well just do it.

Good luck!

Lisa

Archived