Boring personal statement? Please comment!

For over a year I had the opportunity to work alongside 20 different physicians in the emergency department at Baptist Medical Center. I learned many practical applications of modern medicine but more importantly the power it has when combined with education and compassion. In addition, a certain trait in a few of the physicians I worked with stood out to me more than anything else. While each individual loved medicine as much as the next, only a few had a passion for teaching and educating their patients. I remember seeing the appreciation and trust in a patient’s eyes when the physician took the time to explain the “why” behind the “what”. While a sense of professionalism and leadership always accompany the role of a medical provider, I feel that there is no better way to gain the trust of a patient than to humbly empower them to come alongside the provider to treat their health concerns.

My passion for learning allowed me to attend college on a full academic scholarship following high school. However, during my second semester of college, I became a young mother. The dream of being a doctor that once sat at my feet became seemingly more difficult to achieve. After pondering on the implications this new life would have on mine, I confidently declared to my family and friends that I would continue my dream of practicing medicine. I made a promise to myself never to give up on my dreams. I wanted to be a mother, and I wanted to be a doctor. Little did I know that my circumstances would introduce me to a career in medicine more fitting to my personality than anything else I had encountered.

I was first introduced to the physician associate profession on the basis that it would be a more fitting career for someone who was family-oriented. The more research I did and questions I asked, the more I realized that pursuing a physician associate degree was my path to take for a multitude of other reasons. With understanding of the commitment and dedication required to pursue and maintain a career as a midlevel provider, I would love having the ability to advise patients on their health, the flexibility of being able to practice in different specialties, and the opportunity to work on a medical team while continuing to educate myself on something I am so passionate about.

As stated, I believe having a desire for sharing knowledge is a vital character trait for any medical provider. As Benjamin Franklin stated, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” I believe one of the strongest attractions I have toward the physician associate profession is the opportunity to educate patients about their health. With the wealth of knowledge attainable in the PA program, my dream of serving in this way can be realized. Secondly, a quality that sets a physician associate apart from a medical doctor is the flexibility of serving in different specialties. I believe choosing a career is one of the most important life decisions a person makes, and while the profession is projected to grow rapidly, a distinguishing attribute that personally draws me toward this profession is the opportunity to experience different realms of medicine over the course of my career. Another appealing aspect of choosing a career as a PA is the opportunity to continue learning. I love the dynamic I have observed between PA’s and physicians during my shadowing involvement. I experienced this while shadowing a pulmonology PA at OU Children’s Hospital this summer. When presented with a complicated case, the PA sought the advice of her supervising physician, who then accompanied her to the patient’s room and assisted in assessing the patient’s condition and addressing the family. This teamwork and collaborative approach is appealing to me, and I would love the opportunity to continue my education by learning from my supervising physician.

Over the course of my shadowing experiences and time at Baptist, I have witnessed the growing need for midlevel providers in the healthcare field, particularly in Oklahoma. I believe the PA provides the community with lower health care costs and increased availability by being a great extension of the physician. I wholeheartedly believe my calling and desire to practice medicine was meant to be fulfilled as a PA.

OU PA Personal Statement.docx

22 hours ago, VFord said:

I remember seeing the appreciation and trust in a patient’s eyes when the physician took the time to explain the “why” behind the “what”.

People love stories. Stories are painted with pictures. Describe this specific story you remember. Fill in the gaps by describing what the patient came in for. What did the doctor say that stood out. What was the response of the patient. What was the lasting impression. etc.

There are no specific stories in your essay. It's a great essay of expressing why you want to become a PA, but you could add meat to the bones and it would be much more readable with more story telling of specific doctor/patient encounters.

Good luck! 

Archived