Early Detection of ASD is the Staple of Quality Care

Hello there! My name is Katelyn and I am a PA student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA.  I have recently been finishing up my graduate project about bringing awareness to midlevel practitioners about early screening and detection of autism spectrum disorders.  The goal of this project is to focus on how early screening and detection of ASD is the staple of quality care for our patients.  Early detection can help our patients to receive the most appropriate interventions as early as possible, which in turn can help to lower costs and the degree/severity of the disorders in the future.  My project includes the latest statistics/research, what signs to look for and when, and overviews of several screening techniques that can be applied in your practice.  My goal is to create awareness and familiarize you with different forms of screening, so that we as midlevel providers will feel more comfortable utilizing these methods with our patients. I have created a website that highlights these areas I have researched and am looking forward to sharing this with all of you.  Please feel free to share your experiences and/or other methods that you have found useful in your practice.

Here is the link to my website! There is a very short survey in the last tab of the website if you would be willing to answer a few questions about my project after viewing the website, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all!     

http://earlydetectionofasd.weebly.com/

• 1 year later...

I generally compare their progress with recommended age appropriate milestones. In addition to this, during my exam, or when having a discussion with the parents, I look for the sensory disorder portion. Do they hate bright lights? Loud sounds? Do they always rub against stuff because they crave tactile stimulation? If I have a couple of positives between these, I feel comfortable recommending a neuropsychiatric evaluation. 

It tends to be easier for me, as two of my children have ASD. While they are not all the same, far from it, there are certain key signs that are easy to recognize if you're familiar with them. 

Archived