Is my degree preventing me from getting job as a CNA?

Hi, guys I just want some advice on my current dilemma. I have submitted at least 18 job applications to various hospitals/positions around my area. On my resume, I included my bachelor's degree in biology for all the CNA positions I have applied to. I became certified as a CNA/BLS last month and every time I go to check the status of my job application it states "Not being considered". I don't understand how I have gotten not one interview. I met a girl during my BLS class who just finished high school and had already found a job (without being BLS certified at the time) with Cleveland Clinic in my area. Is my degree hindering me from finding a job as a CNA? It's really frustrating, to say the least, and I don't know what to do anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, dizzyjon said:

it is possible they may see your having a degree as using CNA as just a quick stepping stone to your next adventure.  I suppose you don't have to list it on your resume since it doesn't apply to the position you are trying to obtain. 

So for a few job postings, I decided not to add my degree but because all the hospitals I have applied to are part of the HCA network (those near me)  I am afraid it's too late as the recruiter will most likely see all my applications. 

15 minutes ago, Natalie2018 said:

I listed my bachelor of science on my applications and was able to get a job (different state). Have you passed your certification test? Are you applying to only hospitals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I passed the certification by the state. So far I have only applied to hospitals.

No your Bachelors degree is not preventing you from getting the job. 

When I was applying for hospital jobs it took me 7 months after passing my NREMT practical and written exam before I obtained my first hospital job. The HR wouldn't touch me for their CNA positions because I had no prior experience. I probably submitted over 100 applications before I was given an interview.

The position I interviewed for was for a CT Tech Aide. After a few months of gaining "hospital experience" I submitted 5 applications for various CNA/NA positions and was offered a job. Experience was what many major hospitals are looking at, not prior degrees. Also, city hospitals tend to be more picky because they can be selective due to supply. Try reaching out to other hospitals in the suburbs or those that are longer commutes.

Expand your job search to ALL entry level positions: nursing assistant, PCT, clinical care tech, clinical assistant, er tech, ed tech, EKG tech, OR tech, radiology aide, med tech, medical assistant, patient transporter.... for the not direct patient care positions, apply for them, gain the experience then jump ship for a paid direct patient care experience.

16 minutes ago, Diggy said:

No your Bachelors degree is not preventing you from getting the job. 

When I was applying for hospital jobs it took me 7 months after passing my NREMT practical and written exam before I obtained my first hospital job. The HR wouldn't touch me for their CNA positions because I had no prior experience. I probably submitted over 100 applications before I was given an interview.

The position I interviewed for was for a CT Tech Aide. After a few months of gaining "hospital experience" I submitted 5 applications for various CNA/NA positions and was offered a job. Experience was what many major hospitals are looking at, not prior degrees. Also, city hospitals tend to be more picky because they can be selective due to supply. Try reaching out to other hospitals in the suburbs or those that are longer commutes.

Expand your job search to ALL entry level positions: nursing assistant, PCT, clinical care tech, clinical assistant, er tech, ed tech, EKG tech, OR tech, radiology aide, med tech, medical assistant, patient transporter.... for the not direct patient care positions, apply for them, gain the experience then jump ship for a paid direct patient care experience.

Thank you! I will definitely look into those entry level positions you listed. I didn't realize how difficult it would be getting into a hospital. 

53 minutes ago, Natalie2018 said:

I agree with Diggy, it's difficult to find a hospital position with no prior experience. Most of the CNAs I worked with had to work in a nursing home or transitional care facility before they could get interviews with the hospitals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm also going to apply to a few rehab/nursing homes and see if I have better luck.

I found that my bachelors degree was hindering me because after graduating I had to move home and get a new job. And in the beginning every time I got an interview, I was blatantly asked why I was applying for this job when I had a bachelors degree and would have to explain that I needed to continue to do my patient care hours for PA school. I eventually got lucky but I would definitely start out at a rehab/nursing center, and you could look into retail clinics like the little clinic, Walgreens. I am not sure if you have those around you or not. But either way one of those two jobs will help you to later on get a job in the hospital. I would also recommend, if you have friends or old classmates working as techs or CNA's in the hospital, to contact them and ask them if there are any jobs on their hospital floor or other floors available.

18 hours ago, kmcl234 said:

I found that my bachelors degree was hindering me because after graduating I had to move home and get a new job. And in the beginning every time I got an interview, I was blatantly asked why I was applying for this job when I had a bachelors degree and would have to explain that I needed to continue to do my patient care hours for PA school. I eventually got lucky but I would definitely start out at a rehab/nursing center, and you could look into retail clinics like the little clinic, Walgreens. I am not sure if you have those around you or not. But either way one of those two jobs will help you to later on get a job in the hospital. I would also recommend, if you have friends or old classmates working as techs or CNA's in the hospital, to contact them and ask them if there are any jobs on their hospital floor or other floors available.

I'm thinking that will be the way to go for now, at least until I gain experience. Thank you!

I have been working for a hospital for a year now and I'm currently looking to move into another department away from being a CNA. Even with a Bachelors in microbiology and a year of experience, I'm not getting many interviews. Those I have interviewed at often ask me about my future goals, and I tell them I plan on applying/have applied to PA school. I think they see me as an employee who won't commit on the long term and it's really hindered my ability to get a new job. Even fresh out of college with my CNA and no experience, it was hard. I got hired on one of the busiest, craziest units in the hospital and have been working there since. 

When I was interviewing for the phlebotomy position that I've been working for the past six months they asked me the same question and I gave them the same answer however I lied a little bit.

I told them that I would need to work 4000 hours (2 years full time) before I'd be eligible to apply to PA school. I really think that helped me in getting hired since no company ever wants to hire a short term employee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guest hcruz496

I am a rad tech.  I also find this to be an obstacle.  You can easily solve this problem by not listing your bachelor degree on your resume.  That is what I ultimately ended up doing.  I have nine years of experience as a rad tech and after graduating college I was suddenly having trouble finding jobs as a tech.  I think most employers see us as potentially wanting too much money or in a transitional period in our education so they don't even call for an interview.  If you don't mention your degree and they don't directly ask it isn't being dishonest.  

@DD2PA I believe it is just really difficult in general in the job search. I am a biology major and applied to CNA jobs at my local hospital. I was one of the lucky ones and heard back in two months. I met many others who had been applying for 6-12 months. I think the reason why I received an interview offer much sooner than others depends on each individual unit and what they look for. Many friends gave me words of advice that some units, such as ICU, prefer more experienced candidates. I would say keep applying. I applied to about 40 positions. I don't think it was my degree that hindered me, but every person has a different experience. In my interview I mostly hit on finding a team-based environment to work in and being a team player while focusing on patient-centered care. I also touched on transferrable skills from other leadership positions or prior employment. Good luck to you in your search.

Archived