2 Primary care position- Help me decide

Hello,

I've been offered two positions in primary care and need help deciding which one is better for the long run. A little history- I've been practicing for about a year now; was working in a clinic as the only provider and would consult with the sp over the phone. This was the hardest thing I've ever done as new grad and would not recommend new grads to do this. The provider was not readily available and sometimes would not respond to the calls immediately- honestly the learning opportunity was not great- I still feel weak in management on chronic illness as the sp would see the patients on the days that sp was in the clinic and I'd do the minor cases- example hp,pap,uti. and when sp saw the patients sp didn't discuss the cases with me as the patients were over booked. We barely reviewed cases at the end of the day- charting was another problem I won't go into. I have some knowledge but not the best and feel like I need some mentorship. Both positions are claims-made policies. Already signed a contract with the 1st position and delegation agreement has been submitted to the board-awaiting confirmation (scheduled to start work anytime soon). I have to respond to position 2 if I'm accepting the position or not. I really need help deciding. Thanks. 

Positon 1: 100K salary

Would be the only provider on site: 3 times per week 12hrs shift and work 2 sat per month- SP would be available via phone for consultation

20 mins from home, No call

3 week vacation

3 sick days

3 days cme-$1500

4 month notice if I decide to leave practice

Retirement package available after practicing there for 1 year.

Positions 2: 95K (non-negotiable)

35 mins from home

Work days: M-F no weekends

On call every 6 weeks

This would be a group practice- Bonus there are providers in the office I can consult with

$500 cme (non-negotiable)

5 days cme

3 week vacation days

Retirement package starts after 90 days and company matches upto 3%

No sick days separated from vacation days

2 month notice if decide to terminate. 

In terms of learning, position 2 is the better offer. 

However, in your case, you already have a year under your belt and experience with this type of employment, so if your comfortable with it, option 1 is the better choice overall. Good salary, and 3 12s in my opinion is ideal. 

15 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

In terms of learning, position 2 is the better offer. 

However, in your case, you already have a year under your belt and experience with this type of employment, so if your comfortable with it, option 1 is the better choice overall. Good salary, and 3 12s in my opinion is ideal. 

Not great advice. Having 1 year under your belt with GOOD mentorship, you still should not be solo. SL87 states that he/she "feels weak in management in chronic illnesses." This is a red flag, but one year is nothing as far as medicine is concerned. SL87 needs close mentorship for a few years before going solo. Good luck SL87!

P.S. I would choose # 2.    

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Not great advice. Having 1 year under your belt with GOOD mentorship, you still should not be solo. SL87 states that he/she "feels weak in management in chronic illnesses." This is a red flag, but one year is nothing as far as medicine is concerned. SL87 needs close mentorship for a few years before going solo. Good luck SL87!

P.S. I would choose # 2.    

Hence why I said "in terms of learning, position 2 is the better offer." I never said it was a good idea going solo with 1 year. But if SL87 can handle something like this it may not be a bad gig to accept. 

18 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

Hence why I said "in terms of learning, position 2 is the better offer." I never said it was a good idea going solo with 1 year. But if SL87 can handle something like this it may not be a bad gig to accept. 

"However, in your case, you already have a year under your belt and experience with this type of employment, so if your comfortable with it, option 1 is the better choice overall." No you did not come out and say that, but you surely did imply it which is not great advice. Besides the point, he/she will do whatever, but option 1 is much better for his/her patients, learning, longevity of his/her career, etc...you get my point. 

58 minutes ago, SL87 said:

Thank you all for your replies.

Camoman1234 did you mean to say option 2 will be much better for his/her patients, learning, longevity of his/her career? Thanks

Yes I meant option #2, thank you for correcting me. I have a 5 week old at home so I am a little tired haha! Good luck!

Archived