MGH Institute of Health Professions: Application Cycle 2017-2018

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mgiel16 said:

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone know if your GRE scores has to be in by the August 1st deadline? I emailed the school a little bit ago but was just wondering if anyone knew. 

Thanks!

I tried to look this up but I do believe everything has to be received prior to the deadline. When did you send your scores in? Let me know if they say anything different when they answer.

16 hours ago, EngineerPA said:

I submitted back in June and never got a confirmation email.... did you e-mail them first?

I did not send them an email. I think today is the day they opened up applications to start reviewing them so I would not be worried

Received this email the morning of 8/1/17 stating,

Dear ABCDEFG,

Thank you for submitting your application to the Masters of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) program at MGH Institute of Health Professions! 

The Admission Office has received your complete application and it is now ready for faculty review. If for any reason the Admission Committee needs additional documentation after initial review, we will contact you as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience during the review process. Please contact the Admission Office at admissions@mghihp.edu if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Sincerely,

Bryan J. Witham
Director of Admission
MGH Institute of Health Professions
36 First Avenue
Boston, MA 02129 

16 minutes ago, eheadley said:

They do not. They are all over the local East Coast around Boston. I have interviewed here the previous 2 years and that's what I was told.

Could you provide your insight on what you believe are some pros and cons of MGH institute? How does it square up against the other Mass PA schools? I thought it would be a great opportunity to rotate at the many affiliated teaching hospitals but since you said that rotations are done at other facilities, MGH kinda loses its luster for me....

It seems pretty misleading to put this type of information on their website...

"The IHP is the only degree-granting affiliate in Partners HealthCare, New England's largest health care provider founded by Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital, and which also includes Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and North Shore Medical Center. This affiliation offers students unparalleled opportunities to learn and work alongside expert practitioners in a variety of hospital, clinical, and community settings."

Well, I'm from Chicago and haven't applied to other MA schools, so I can't really say a comparison to other MA schools. I do enjoy that it is a newer program so they are very invested in their students and that the teaching style is PBL which I think is great for those of us that are going back to school after a few years off.

I meant that they were mostly with Partners so where ever those take you which aren't necessarily all in Boston or MGH itself. I believe they have other affiliations for rotations as well. As with any PA program, they will help you set up rotations almost anywhere you want to do them.

5 hours ago, Pez said:

Received this email the morning of 8/1/17 stating,

Dear ABCDEFG,

Thank you for submitting your application to the Masters of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) program at MGH Institute of Health Professions! 

The Admission Office has received your complete application and it is now ready for faculty review. If for any reason the Admission Committee needs additional documentation after initial review, we will contact you as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience during the review process. Please contact the Admission Office at admissions@mghihp.edu if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Sincerely,

Bryan J. Witham
Director of Admission
MGH Institute of Health Professions
36 First Avenue
Boston, MA 02129 

I also received the email this morning. I submitted about 8 hours before getting the email.

5 hours ago, Pez said:

Could you provide your insight on what you believe are some pros and cons of MGH institute? How does it square up against the other Mass PA schools? I thought it would be a great opportunity to rotate at the many affiliated teaching hospitals but since you said that rotations are done at other facilities, MGH kinda loses its luster for me....

It seems pretty misleading to put this type of information on their website...

"The IHP is the only degree-granting affiliate in Partners HealthCare, New England's largest health care provider founded by Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital, and which also includes Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and North Shore Medical Center. This affiliation offers students unparalleled opportunities to learn and work alongside expert practitioners in a variety of hospital, clinical, and community settings."

I'm curious as to how much research have you actually done into this program? If you only want to go because of the MGH name, I would advise you to choose another program.

I am a current student here. Yes, we do get to rotate at MGH (it's not called UMass General), Brigham and Women's, and other Boston area hospitals. Yes, there are sites outside of Boston that we will be rotating at as well. It's important to get a perspective of seeing patients outside of a certain geographical area. Plus, at smaller facilities, oftentimes preceptors will only have 1 or 2 students working with them, so you get more opportunities to learn and perform hands on work. That's not always going to be possible at Boston area facilities with other PA (and MD!) programs competing for rotation spots. Most, if not all, PA programs have rotation sites at smaller hospitals and clinics.

We just finished up our musculoskeletal course last week. We went to Harvard Medical School's cadaver lab. I actually held a brain and an enlarged heart while we were there. Some of us have watched a brain autopsy over at BWH. A lot of us have signed up to watch a full autopsy at some point this year. Most of us also volunteer a few times a month at an equal access health clinic (multiple sites in Boston), which allows us to apply our classroom skills to real life patients. We are also split up into teams to go to the MGH simulation lab, where we practice real life scenarios on computer simulated patients that can actually change their symptoms based on your approach to treating them. Our guest professors are PAs and MDs in the Boston area that we will most likely be working with upon graduation.

So, in summary, it is not at all misleading for them to put that statement on their website, and I would advise you to be careful in potentially bad-mouthing a school that you're interested in attending, especially before you've done research or gone to an info session. The MGH name will get your foot in the door at places, but you have to decide how much effort you're going to put into your didactic and clinical years. 

2 hours ago, chiakipoo said:

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure where you're finding the 11:59PM information, specifically pertaining to MGH or any other specific programs. Also, shouldn't time difference also be taken into account?

Sorry, meant to include 11:59 EST. Underneath the blue deadline, it says:

" Applicants must e-submit their CASPA application by 11:59pm EST on the deadline date. "

Looking at the participating programs list, MGH's deadline is 8/1/2017 and is in orange. So, their deadline must be today, 8/1/17 at 11:59pm and must be completed with the items in orange described.

Hope that helps!

On 7/31/2017 at 2:49 PM, pbj123 said:

I tried to look this up but I do believe everything has to be received prior to the deadline. When did you send your scores in? Let me know if they say anything different when they answer.

I emailed them a few weeks ago. They said GRE scores do not need to be in by the deadline. 

On 8/4/2017 at 3:16 AM, AshMarie92 said:

I emailed them a few weeks ago. They said GRE scores do not need to be in by the deadline. 

I spoke to someone who told me they allow 10-14 days after closing of the deadline to allow for applications to be "complete" but you MUST be verified by CASPA at this time or your application will be incomplete. 

Here's to hoping MGH takes a serious holistic look at our applications.

Archived