Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten into PA school, or are going to apply, that have not been the traditional Biology, Chemistry, Bio-Chem, etc. science majors?
I am a Psychology major, but was previously a Biology major. I have finished all of the pre-reqs for most PA schools and some of the "recommended but not required" courses.
I am just afraid that the committee will doubt my academic readiness to take on PA school.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thank you!

11 hours ago, TheHopeful said:

First of all, congrats on the interviews! I am sure you will do great.
Can I ask which courses you took, as far as pre-reqs?

Thanks! As far as all my pre-reqs for different programs, I took Gen Bio i&II, Gen Chem I&II, Ochem I, Gen Psych, Sociology, English, Stats, Algebra, Physics, Microbio, and Genetics. (One of the schools I applied to even required Spanish)

• Upvote 1

I was accepted with a Bachelors in Criminology and Justice Studies. I had lots of great HCE and my pre-reqs were good as well. 

I think they care about the person as a whole and a little less about the degree they might have. I have interviewed at three different schools and only once did the Crim Justice thing come up. They were curious to know why the shift from Crim Justice to Health. It was easy to explain and it made sense, so it was a non-issue. 

I think my ability to be personable, previous health care experience (military) and my GPA were the true selling points for my acceptance. The school I was accepted to didn't ask about the Crim Justice degree. Also, I know of Dr's that had undergrad in English.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PAgirl199
      Hey everyone! 

I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!
    • By Majesticu
      Hey guys,
      I'm currently considering applying next year and was wondering if anyone could share their stats for getting into nova or any other school in florida, especially how many pce hours, since they don't seem to require it but I'm not sure how many most applicants have.
    • By KellyBeth
      Hi everyone,
      I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!
      Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    • Guest JohnT
      By Guest JohnT
      if  I were to earn A's in all of my needed science classe, what are my chances for getting accepted to PA school after graduation?
    • Guest JohnT
      By Guest JohnT
      what are my chances for getting accepted to PA school after graduation?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More