Hello! I feel blessed to be coming to you guys with such a problem, but it's been weighing on me and need advice from current PA-S's and PA-C's.
I have been accepted to two schools: School A which is 20 minutes away from my current living space and School B which is closer to my parents, but still about an hour away. Schools A and B seem pretty comparable in terms of curriculum, program length (A: 27 mo versus B: 25 mo), PANCE pass rates (A: 97 versus B: 99), tuition (a difference of 3K), and employment rates after graduation. The main differences that I see are that school B is associated with a medical school, so networking opportunities and strength in name and that school B will end up costing almost 40K more due to cost of living expenses. School B was my top choice prior to interviewing but was not the first school to get back to me, therefore, I have not placed my deposit. School B is also where most of my college friends settled and has an opportunity for research, which is important to me. School A has cheaper living costs, and somewhat of a support system from my current workplace friends.
l have seen two basic schools of thought for this quandary, which include:
Go to the cheapest school, you'll thank yourself later.
Go to the school that you will regret not going to if you choose otherwise.
Do you agree with either of these or have your own idea based on your own experience? Any anecdotes proving either correct or other statements would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
I'm applying to UF in a few weeks, and it's also time to register for summer/fall classes at UCF if I'm going to take them. I can either take Orgo 2 and lab this summer, followed by Biochem this fall, (which will only be listed on my CASPA as future classes) or I can work many more shifts at the hospital and also shadow more.
- 33 year-old, male, second career applicant. Have a non-science master's degree.
- Went back to school to take all pre-reqs at UCF. Got straight A's on required pre-req's, plus As in Genetics and Orgo 1
- BCP GPA 3.9 // Overall GPA 3.8 // GRE 328 (166 verbal, 162 math, 5.0 writing)
- Dual-licensed EMT and CNA, working at major hospital as a flex pool nursing assistant, 2000+ hours (worked ICU, PCU, cardiac, med-surg, ortho, and psych). 40 hours shadowing in ortho OR. If I work more instead of taking Orgo2 and Biochem, I will have 4000+ hours and more shadowing
- Fully bi-lingual (English and Spanish) with strong interview skills.
When I compare to the recent class profiles, I see that my grades and GRE are strong, and PCE is average. But those profiles don't show what classes the students took. I expect most of them have undergrad science degrees with many more science classes, whereas I am paying cash to take my science classes piecemeal at UCF.
So my question is, honestly, am I pretty likely to be accepted as is? Should I just work? If I take the extra classes, that would let me apply to NOVA and USF as back-ups, but I only want to go to UF. I know it's competitive, and I should be so lucky to get in anywhere. But there it is.
So which is better for UF, more hours/shadowing, or take Orgo2 and Biochem after CASPA sent?
I currently live in Southern California but have been lucky enough to be accepted to a couple schools in NY. I am also currently waiting to hear back from a few California schools. I was wondering how important it is in terms of obtaining a job after PA School to attend a school that is located in the state that you wish to practice.
Hi, I applied to SCUHS. I received an email from them after CASPA verified my application saying that interview notification will be sent out in January and interviews in February. Today is January 26th 2018 and I have heard nothing. Anyone heard from them?