Sign in to follow this  
TheHopeful

Non-Bio/Chem Major Acceptance Success

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten into PA school, or are going to apply, that have not been the traditional Biology, Chemistry, Bio-Chem, etc. science majors?
I am a Psychology major, but was previously a Biology major. I have finished all of the pre-reqs for most PA schools and some of the "recommended but not required" courses.
I am just afraid that the committee will doubt my academic readiness to take on PA school.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thank you!

They do not care. I've heard some others say they believe it gives you an advantage - you stand out from the crowd of Bio majors. What they want are the pre-reqs. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NikkiO said:

English major here, with two interview invites so far. It can be done.

First of all, congrats on the interviews! I am sure you will do great.
Can I ask which courses you took, as far as pre-reqs?

11 hours ago, TheHopeful said:

First of all, congrats on the interviews! I am sure you will do great.
Can I ask which courses you took, as far as pre-reqs?

Thanks! As far as all my pre-reqs for different programs, I took Gen Bio i&II, Gen Chem I&II, Ochem I, Gen Psych, Sociology, English, Stats, Algebra, Physics, Microbio, and Genetics. (One of the schools I applied to even required Spanish)

• Upvote 1

I was accepted with a Bachelors in Criminology and Justice Studies. I had lots of great HCE and my pre-reqs were good as well. 

I think they care about the person as a whole and a little less about the degree they might have. I have interviewed at three different schools and only once did the Crim Justice thing come up. They were curious to know why the shift from Crim Justice to Health. It was easy to explain and it made sense, so it was a non-issue. 

I think my ability to be personable, previous health care experience (military) and my GPA were the true selling points for my acceptance. The school I was accepted to didn't ask about the Crim Justice degree. Also, I know of Dr's that had undergrad in English.

• Upvote 1

Engineering and computer science. Your degree doesn't matter; your prereqs, etc do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By irisheyes
      Hello! I feel blessed to be coming to you guys with such a problem, but it's been weighing on me and need advice from current PA-S's and PA-C's.
      I have been accepted to two schools: School A which is 20 minutes away from my current living space and School B which is closer to my parents, but still about an hour away. Schools A and B seem pretty comparable in terms of curriculum, program length (A: 27 mo versus B: 25 mo), PANCE pass rates (A: 97 versus B: 99), tuition (a difference of 3K), and employment rates after graduation. The main differences that I see are that school B is associated with a medical school, so networking opportunities and strength in name and that school B will end up costing almost 40K more due to cost of living expenses. School B was my top choice prior to interviewing but was not the first school to get back to me, therefore, I have not placed my deposit. School B is also where most of my college friends settled and has an opportunity for research, which is important to me. School A has cheaper living costs, and somewhat of a support system from my current workplace friends.
      l have seen two basic schools of thought for this quandary, which include:
      Go to the cheapest school, you'll thank yourself later. Go to the school that you will regret not going to if you choose otherwise.   Do you agree with either of these or have your own idea based on your own experience? Any anecdotes proving either correct or other statements would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    • By NickT
      I'm applying to UF in a few weeks, and it's also time to register for summer/fall classes at UCF if I'm going to take them. I can either take Orgo 2 and lab this summer, followed by Biochem this fall, (which will only be listed on my CASPA as future classes) or I can work many more shifts at the hospital and also shadow more.
      My stats:
      - 33 year-old, male, second career applicant. Have a non-science master's degree.
      - Went back to school to take all pre-reqs at UCF. Got straight A's on required pre-req's, plus As in Genetics and Orgo 1
      - BCP GPA 3.9 // Overall GPA 3.8 // GRE 328 (166 verbal, 162 math, 5.0 writing)
      - Dual-licensed EMT and CNA, working at major hospital as a flex pool nursing assistant, 2000+ hours (worked ICU, PCU, cardiac, med-surg, ortho, and psych). 40 hours shadowing in ortho OR. If I work more instead of taking Orgo2 and Biochem, I will have 4000+ hours and more shadowing
      - Fully bi-lingual (English and Spanish) with strong interview skills.
      When I compare to the recent class profiles, I see that my grades and GRE are strong, and PCE is average. But those profiles don't show what classes the students took. I expect most of them have undergrad science degrees with many more science classes, whereas I am paying cash to take my science classes piecemeal at UCF.
      So my question is, honestly, am I pretty likely to be accepted as is? Should I just work? If I take the extra classes, that would let me apply to NOVA and USF as back-ups, but I only want to go to UF. I know it's competitive, and I should be so lucky to get in anywhere. But there it is.
      So which is better for UF, more hours/shadowing, or take Orgo2 and Biochem after CASPA sent?
      Thank you!
    • By PaPepper
      What is the lowest GPA acceptance have you gotten or heard of? Has anyone (or yourself) you know gotten in with a GPA lower than 3.0? If so, what stood them (or you) out than others?
    • By SilentPA
      Hello Everyone!
      I currently live in Southern California but have been lucky enough to be accepted to a couple schools in NY. I am also currently waiting to hear back from a few California schools. I was wondering how important it is in terms of obtaining a job after PA School to attend a school that is located in the state that you wish to practice.
    • By loveforbooks
      Hi, I applied to SCUHS. I received an email from them after CASPA verified my application saying that interview notification will be sent out in January and interviews in February. Today is January 26th 2018 and I have heard nothing. Anyone heard from them?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More