Volunteer in clinic count as pce?

Hello,

i will start volunteering as a medical outreach volunteer for a free clinic in my area. My responsibilities would include taking vitals of the patients, including bp, weight and height. And then assisting the nurses with health screening for glucose, vision etc.

since I'm interacting a lot with the patients and touching them, would this count as pce or just health related experience?

Thanks

As long as you are physically touching patients and taking part in their care in the manner you described, this absolutely counts as patient care experience, and most schools will accept it as such. There are however, some schools that require or prefer paid PCE, in which case this would still look good but would not count for their baseline PCE hour requirement. I was accepted to a few PA schools and a lot of my PCE was done as a medical assistant volunteer at a free clinic performing duties similar to what you described. If you are able to get a paid patient care position in the future I still would, but there a many schools that will accept volunteer experience with no problems. 

Archived