How far is too far to drive for a job?

Newly minted PA-C here trying to find my first job and have not had any luck within an hour or so radius of where I live, the area is pretty well saturated.

I'm going to start broadening my search out even further but wanted to hear how far some of the other PA's here to get to their job and how far was realistically possible?

I work at 4 places:

45 min, 60 min, 75 min, and 3 hrs from home. The job 3 hrs away is a place where I have a condo.

my first job was 75 min from home 21 years ago.

anything more than 75 min 4 days a week gets really old, really fast. especially if you are traveling in traffic. you may need to move.

I've been driving to work 4.5 hours from home for the last year.  I do it in 3 stretches per month so basically i drive 4.5 hours to work and 4.5 hours home 3 times each month.  I'm away from home 13 days a month.  I didn't go into it ever thinking that it was permanent and it hasn't been horrible.  It was the right choice for my career and family.  That being said the whole crew is moving to the town i've been working in 2 weeks from now and I couldn't be happier.  
I think it depends a lot on your social situation.  I'm married with 6 kids.  some people thought my wife and i were crazy making the decision to take the job but the job I left although it was only 20 minutes from home was a specialty I hated (oncology) and a position i took only because I had to.  I worked 60 hours a week and at least 1 week a month it was 6  out of 7 days.   With the new job even though i've been out of town 13 days a month when i'm home, i'm home and i've had better quality time with my family than I did working 20 minutes away.  
All that being said unless something is tying you to your current home, seriously look into moving if you have more than a 30-45 minute commute.  

30-45 mins is the sustainable limit for a full-time job.

Keep in mind that time you spend in the car is essentially time wasted. Sure you can listen to music or CME, but you arent living. You're commuting. So an 8 hour day becomes a 10 hour day and so on.

An hour+ may sound doable when you are prospecting for a job but trust me it gets old really, really quick. Especially in winter.

Archived