Help! Losing hope :(

My stats:

Cum GPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.57
Non-science GPA: 3.26
GRE: 294 (Q - 149, V - 144, Writing - 4.0) 
PCE Hours: 1040
Volunteer hours: 400+ 
Shadowing hours: 145 
Submitted CASPA: 06/27/17

Applied to 9 schools: 1 does not consider GRE scores, 1 has a min score of 145 in each section, 1 has a required combined score of 294, and the rest are 150 in each section.

My GRE score is trash. I'm so consumed by my score, and I don't know what to do at this point. Should I retake it or just wait it out? I'm also concerned about my non-science GPA. 

Any advice would help. 

Your grades are fine; don't have information on you HCE, LORs, nor essay. All are important.

I would consider retaking the GRE after you figure out what you did the first time. There are books and also tools, the later if I remember, are at the GRE website.

You can retake the test and then select whether or not to have the grades sent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't lose hope! you have great volunteer hours, GPA and your GRE isn't horrible. If that is one flaw in your application I'm sure there are areas you completely excelled in. How is your personal statement ? LOR? I am in the same boat..you would laugh at my score..its beyond terrible. I am retaking next week.
keep your hopes high! you've worked so hard to get here I'm sure..keep shining !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

@UGoLong - 
HCE: around 30
LORs: 1 PA, 1 MD, 1 LPN/co-worker, and 1 professor (orgo)
Personal statement is pretty strong.

This would be my 3rd time taking the GRE. Standardized tests are not my thing, unfortunately. I'm losing stamina and confidence, so I'm at a roadblock at my choices right now. 

take the practice ETS exams, listen to GRE podcasts for the vocabulary before you sleep, retake exam in 21 days, take a bunch of easy non-science classes like a language or speech to boost up your GPA by 2 points, my non science GPA was trash and I got 50% 2/4 interviews last cycle so you'll be alright, your volunteer and LORs will get you the interviews and your people skills will get you a spot in a program. I know a girl that scored in the 80 percent in the verbal while her math was in the 20% and she still earned a decent score of 320. 

My issue is the time frame. Would it be too late to take it say in September? I know schools start sending out invites in August, so how would I be able to notify that I'm trying to achieve a better score?

(These are the schools I applied to: UF, FGCU, Keiser, Nova [Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville], PCOM [Georgia campus], Barry [Miami], and Uni of South Alabama)

1 minute ago, UGoLong said:

Yep, but I can guarantee you'll be taking computerized tests in PA school on at least something that you won't be all that interested in!

Amen. I've honestly learned that one important aspect of PA school is becoming a good test taker since we are constantly being tested. Learning how to take tests now, standardized or not, is extremely important. 

You may have already done this, but in the GRE prep books or other study materials for it, they usually have a test taking strategy section that is important and should be practiced just as much as the content of the questions.

3 hours ago, pastudentw said:

Amen. I've honestly learned that one important aspect of PA school is becoming a good test taker since we are constantly being tested. Learning how to take tests now, standardized or not, is extremely important. 

You may have already done this, but in the GRE prep books or other study materials for it, they usually have a test taking strategy section that is important and should be practiced just as much as the content of the questions.

Are tests in PA school mostly multiple choice or short answer?

@UGoLong (or anyone that would know) - If I plan on taking the GRE early/mid September and schools start releasing decisions in August/September, then how do I let them know that I'm still in the process of retaking it and could potentially earn a better score? Does this make sense? 

You have zero control over what a school does. Telling them that you will be retaking the GRE really doesn't influence anything. Many schools interview in rounds anyway.

If you are going to contact them, I suggest you do in after you have something (i.e., better new grades) to tell them.

I'm not sure the GRE is important for schools. It probably varies from school to school but from my understanding It's generally just a requirement for entering graduate school. I have lower scores than yours (V=144, Q=146, W=4.0) with two interviews coming up next month. That said, I would not waste time applying to schools that do require a minimum.

Archived