Bad Letter of Recommendation

I asked a PA for a letter of recommendation whom I share a close relationship with. However, he wrote me a very bad letter of recommendation. I've already filled out the max of five letters, so I don't have room for another PA. I didn't even have the chance to send him my resume or CV before he submitted his evaluation. He wrote in generalities with lots of grammatical and spelling errors. He wrote things such as, "She is a fantastic CNA" or "She works well with others" He even ended the personal statement with "She will be great". What do I do? Will this affect me? I saw his letter after he had submitted it...

Not well written, but not "bad" -- he didn't write anything bad.

Many letters are vanilla or don't tell the reviewers much. Hopefully the other letters are more memorable.

File this under the heading of "things there is nothing I can do about" and move on.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A similar thing happened to me when I applied to PA school (years ago). It wasn't a bad recommendation, just a poorly written generic one. Thankfully the other two letters I had were much more specific and well written and I got into my first choice school. I think people understand that poor grammar and lack of effort from someone writing a letter doesn't really reflect on you personally. How are the other letters you have? If this one is an outlier than don't let it keep you up at night.

Archived