New Grad ER Position

How is it possible that PAs, being a medical provider/practitioner, does not get PTO. When I worked as a rad tech AIDE getting paid $11/hr, I still got PTO. The receptionist that works at the same ED probably gets PTO. How insulting. 

In my previous career I had set PTO and sick time and it really limited what I could do. In my current job, no PTO but just have to make a minimum number of shifts to keep benefits. I have never had so much freedom to travel and take time off. Our scheduler just rearranges my shifts around my time off and I have never not been approved. No PTO means no one can say you're out of PTO. I thought it was a strange thing when I first heard that but now I get how it works. Of course, I'm not salaried, I'm hourly (preferable, IMHO) so, I'm sure that makes a difference. Plus, all my other benefits are amazing and I get paid really well. Don't worry, I'm not insulted by my lack of PTO. [emoji6]

They tried to make it sound like a good offer but with no PTO they are cheating you out on thousands of dollars.

Let's pretend you found a job exactly like yours that offered you 14 days PTO.
Understand that with this job offering you no PTO and the other job offering you 14, they are really paying you only 49.5 dollars an hour X 140 hrs a month X 12 months = 83,160 yearly.

You really have to consider your benefits you're missing out on and not just the salary or hourly rate. Benefits are worth 10s of thousands of dollars. For no PTO they better be paying you a pretty penny.

You can still do shift work and have PTO. I am in inpatient medicine and am only required to work a certain amount of shifts a month and can frequently adjust those shifts around so I don't have to use PTO.

But I very much appreciate my PTO. It means if I need to I can work less than what is required a month and still get compensated my full salary. You deserve paid time off

You can still do shift work and have PTO. I am in inpatient medicine and am only required to work a certain amount of shifts a month and can frequently adjust those shifts around so I don't have to use PTO.

But I very much appreciate my PTO. It means if I need to I can work less than what is required a month and still get compensated my full salary. You deserve paid time off

I know we're getting it in the next couple months so, that'll be good. I've been looking into other jobs lately so this is good advice, but I'm just not sure what to do about it if the offer is great, the job seems great but PTO is just not something they do at all. [emoji53] I can't just get a company to start doing that and could miss out on a good opportunity if that's my deal breaker.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:50 PM, JMPAC said:

I know we're getting it in the next couple months so, that'll be good. I've been looking into other jobs lately so this is good advice, but I'm just not sure what to do about it if the offer is great, the job seems great but PTO is just not something they do at all. emoji53.png I can't just get a company to start doing that and could miss out on a good opportunity if that's my deal breaker.

True!
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders!

Is your contract for a certain length of time?

Archived